The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by waffelton
My teacher doesn’t talk about critics because he doesn’t really think them important. It’s pretty easy to find critics online, and if you create your own impression of the next, this also counts as a critical view.

ah awesome!! thank u sm for letting me know :smile:
Just found this really good resource for Dracula and TBC notes. Thought I'd leave it here. It has really good context on most things and the quotes saved my life. Legit don't have to scurry through my books to find quotes. Thank godddd

https://www.stuvia.com/doc/1529438/a-level-gothic-comparative-studies-dracula-and-the-bloody-chamber-thematic-booklet-with-quotes
Is it too late to start making quote banks? I finished a quote bank on one out of five of my books but that took me like three days to do and thinking of making quote banks for the rest feels overwhelming. I'm stressing out so much!!
Original post by 888ella
Is it too late to start making quote banks? I finished a quote bank on one out of five of my books but that took me like three days to do and thinking of making quote banks for the rest feels overwhelming. I'm stressing out so much!!

i dont think its too late but i would try and narrow down the number of quotes if its taking too long. try and get quotes that overlap different themes so you can narrow down how many you need to remember. also you can try and find some pre-made quote banks online.

also what books & exam board are you? i can share mine if we overlap :smile:
Original post by racracrac
i dont think its too late but i would try and narrow down the number of quotes if its taking too long. try and get quotes that overlap different themes so you can narrow down how many you need to remember. also you can try and find some pre-made quote banks online.
also what books & exam board are you? i can share mine if we overlap :smile:

That's true! I'm doing OCR. The books are: Passing, Gatsby, Hamlet, Duchess of Malfi, Paradise Lost
Original post by 888ella
That's true! I'm doing OCR. The books are: Passing, Gatsby, Hamlet, Duchess of Malfi, Paradise Lost

I’ve got quote banks for Hamlet and DoM if you want them! I link them with key themes though.
Original post by waffelton
I’ve got quote banks for Hamlet and DoM if you want them! I link them with key themes though.

That would be so great!! Thank you!!!
Original post by laila101010101
hi guys i do edexcel!
i’m studying othello and a streetcar named desire
dracula and the picture of dorian gray
poems of the decade and rossetti
let me know if any of u are doing the same texts!!

same drama texts!
Reply 148
Original post by lilybyee
Hi Marz, would it be possible if I read this? I'd like to know what angle you analysed the books from! I'm doing Edexcel (King Lear, Earnest, Keats), and am comparing Frankenstein and NLMG for my Paper 2 Prose exam! For my own NEA, I did Giovanni's Room and The Virgin Suicides. If you'd like evidence that I've handed this, I'm happy to provide it, don't want it to seem like I'm stealing your NEA lol <3

Hey, how are you finding Frankenstein + NLMG?
Original post by yazw24

Hiya finding it pretty good! Haven’t been revising P2 too much bcus I’m really familiar with both books and struggle the least with prose in general. Rn I’m trying to focus on poetry, wbu? :smile:
Original post by eenie_49
i’m doing streetcar for my nea!! how do you find it?
i actually also do edexcel and study dracula, dorian and poems of the decade!!! (and larkin for poetry and hamlet for my play)

I'm doing hamlet streetcar dracula dorian POTD and larkin!!!
Original post by yazw24

hey, we read frankenstein in class + analysed and we were told to read NLMG in our christmas holidays (this was last year).

both are quite easy to understand actually, i had no difficulty in understanding the texts and there’s loads of connections you can make :smile:
hiya, just found this thread! i’m doing OCR and my texts are hamlet, the selected coleridge poems, an ideal husband, frankenstein and the bloody chamber :smile:
Hello,

I'm doing the Edexcel IAl. I'm studying Othello, Death of a Salesman, and Life of Pi.

I love English but dear god are the exams the bane of my existence.

I'm doing ok for Death of a Salesman and Othello I guess but any advice, or resources that people can share - especially for Life of Pi) would be verry much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by eenie_49
i’m doing streetcar for my nea!! how do you find it?
i actually also do edexcel and study dracula, dorian and poems of the decade!!! (and larkin for poetry and hamlet for my play)

i actually really like streetcar it’s such an interesting play, wbu! how are you finding poems of the decade, i struggle with poetry the most.
Original post by aaaaaaaaaa2006
same drama texts!

niceee how are you finding othello?
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

I am doing Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale for Prose. Can anyone suggest any useful tips for studying them?
I struggle with building a quote bank and comparing them.
I always get stuck on paragraph topics. E.g. ‘Men may seem to be more powerful than women, but the reality is very different’

P1 men are more powerful to an extent
P2 however the reality is different and women hold power
P3 ? stuck
(edited 23:57)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending