The Student Room Group

A-level Psychology Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esisaxis
Hi, I’m doing AQA Psychology and I’m in year 13. My other subjects are Geography (AQA) and Biology (Edexcel A).

My favourite topic in Psychology is probably Biopsychology (since my favourite subject is Biology) and Research Methods so far. I have a love-hate relationship with Attachment. find the content interesting, but struggle with the amount of content in it as I find it repetitive so it can all blend into one.

I struggle most with remembering researcher’s names and the AO3 evaluation points. I find AO1 fine, it’s always the AO3 I forget.

i also have a love-hate relationship with attachment :biggrin:
Original post by emm4nuella
hiya wdym by positive psychology? just interested :biggrin:

positive psychology is the newest approach to studying psychology - we basically learn about research around happiness, wellbeing, mindfulness therapy, nurturing positive traits - basically all the more modern psychology stuff :smile:
it’s a really nice different perspective on it from all the negative parts we learn about, i think it’s the only exam board that does it ! We can apply the things we learn to our own lives too - it’s definitely inspired me to start meditating and thinking more positively
Definitely recommend reading into it, it’s the one topic i’m always reading around at home bc it’s so interesting 😂
Original post by lkjhgfdsazxcvbnm
positive psychology is the newest approach to studying psychology - we basically learn about research around happiness, wellbeing, mindfulness therapy, nurturing positive traits - basically all the more modern psychology stuff :smile:
it’s a really nice different perspective on it from all the negative parts we learn about, i think it’s the only exam board that does it ! We can apply the things we learn to our own lives too - it’s definitely inspired me to start meditating and thinking more positively
Definitely recommend reading into it, it’s the one topic i’m always reading around at home bc it’s so interesting 😂

wow - that sounds awesome :biggrin:!
Reply 23
Original post by lkjhgfdsazxcvbnm

That sounds so cool! i wish we did it :frown:
Hello everyone I am taking AQA Psychology (Year 12) as well as Biology, Chemistry and German. I am hoping, naturally, to get As and A*s and I am determined to put the work in but we shall see! I have done a MOOC on Psychology and I really enjoyed developmental psychology and things like personality, but I didn't find social psychology as interesting, but I enjoyed learning about social learning theory in lessons so idk xD We are doing memory at the moment in class which I am enjoying.

I haven't watched much recently but I have just read the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, the Metamorphosis, Der Vorleser and I am currently reading Girl, Woman, Other (because my whole school is reading it it seems for English Literature A level lol)
Reply 25
Original post by HighlightOfUrDay
Hi all,

I'm with AQA
I struggle most with remembering all the approaches (they all just merge into each other in my head), and also the minority influence in social influence which includes all of the small steps that minorities influence the majority.
I really enjoy debating stuff when it comes to evaluations, especially in the Gender topic.

Hey! I just started year 12 and I am also struggling to differentiate all the approaches... Please let me know if you found any way to differentiate them that helped you whilst revising :biggrin:
Original post by student1638
Hi everyone. I actually finished year 13 and received my results in August. I did Law, Spanish and Politics. For Law and Spanish (OCR and AQA) I had never gotten anything below an A*/A and ended up with B’s so decided to resit those two. Politics I never enjoyed so got rid of it and now I’m attempting to do a fast track for A level psychology (AQA) in a year. I know it’ll be challenging but I’m determined. I’m aiming for an A (and A* in the other two). I’m self studying from home, haven’t found an amazingggg tutor to help me out and no colleges near me offer this fast track option…

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have, have a nice day!!

Hi I’m doing fast track psychology, sociology and classic civilisation (OCR) I’m doing it online with oxbridge and they are really good and give you a tutor! Just search up oxbridge online learning and it should come up :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by raindropxox
Hello everyone I am taking AQA Psychology (Year 12) as well as Biology, Chemistry and German. I am hoping, naturally, to get As and A*s and I am determined to put the work in but we shall see! I have done a MOOC on Psychology and I really enjoyed developmental psychology and things like personality, but I didn't find social psychology as interesting, but I enjoyed learning about social learning theory in lessons so idk xD We are doing memory at the moment in class which I am enjoying.

I haven't watched much recently but I have just read the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, the Metamorphosis, Der Vorleser and I am currently reading Girl, Woman, Other (because my whole school is reading it it seems for English Literature A level lol)

do you find the mix of bio and psych hard due to the heavy content?
Original post by oreo milk

I haven't really found it too hard yet but then I am only 6 weeks into the course so I am sure it will become increasingly more difficult as time progresses 😅 but to be honest I think biology and psychology fit quite well together for things like the biological approach in psychology especially, as psychology is the study of the mind and behaviour. I am also being frequently tested which is forcing me to constantly revise and keep up to speed with the content, and I think I am keeping myself well-motivated as I know that 4 A-levels is difficult!
(edited 6 months ago)
LES GO I'm doing AQA for psych and also do biology and maths. I love psych, psych is life and I'm also not too shabby at it so if anyone needs any help I'll try my best :smile:

(Year 13 for context)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 30
Original post by oreo milk

psych and bio have a lot of cross over so it actually helps!
Reply 31
I am also doing Bio and Psych and I've just started year 12 and they already overlap really well :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by insistent-flower
Oh my days I just started Psychology French and photography, how do you find psych and French together what are your top subject specific tips when it comes to those two?

hii <3
ngl at first i was unsure abt my subject combination bc i was worried psych and sociology would be too similar but I've found that they all mix together quite nicely (ie: we study changes in the family in both french and sociology and it also links well with attachment in psych). also i'm about to do my french IRP (independent research project) which will involve psychology as well so i'm glad i can use what i learn in all my subjects together.

my advice for psych will be to practice essays (esp in timed conditions). rn its really hard for me to finish psych essays on time so id say practicing that more might help in the long run. you might have heard this a lot from other ppl but its probably good to revise psychology regularly bc its content heavy and quite long difficult to cram, and id say its more technical in terms of essay writing and structure so youd want to make sure you know it well.

for french (ngl i don't do as much revision as i should) but id say the best way to revise is immerse yourself in the culture! my phone's in french so a lot of the vids i see online are french and its helpful with listening tasks bc you get more used to hearing french and can also help with speaking and pronunciation. you can also watch french tv shows (lupin on netflix is good for example) or listen to music as well.

hope this helps and good luck with sixth form!!
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi can someone explain to me, how can psychological research be considered scientific and how can it be considered unscientific. I need help pls
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello, this is the official thread for those in Year 13 who are currently studying A Level Psychology this year. First of all, welcome guys - we are in this together <3! Second, here are a few icebreaker questions:

1) name and where you are from
2) what other subjects you are taking at A Level
3) the grades you are hoping to get at the end of Year 13 :smile:
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

*I AM STARTING A PSYCH STUDY GROUP OUTSIDE OF TSR. IF YOU WANT TO JOIN, MESSAGE ME PLEASE :biggrin: <3*

Heyy, I am Catie I do Psychology, Chemistry and Biology I am hoping to get A* in Biology and a B in chemistry and Psychology. I am watching Gossip Girl at the moment. Something I will always tell myself is you've got this.
I do AQA psychology and confused on the approaches but I love Social Influence and Relationships and Biopsychology.
Original post by catie1234_9
Heyy, I am Catie I do Psychology, Chemistry and Biology I am hoping to get A* in Biology and a B in chemistry and Psychology. I am watching Gossip Girl at the moment. Something I will always tell myself is you've got this.
I do AQA psychology and confused on the approaches but I love Social Influence and Relationships and Biopsychology.

welcome :biggrin:! what are your psych options (obvs one is relationships :smile:)
I've come to the upsetting realisation that I don't remember half the attachment topic, which is great considering I have a paper 1 mock in 2 weeks
Reply 38
Original post by catie1234_9

I do the same subjects! What exam boards do you use?
Reply 39
Original post by thrivingfrog
I've come to the upsetting realisation that I don't remember half the attachment topic, which is great considering I have a paper 1 mock in 2 weeks

My teacher was off ill when we were being taught attachment, I don't think I'll ever understand it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending