The Student Room Group

Need help on whether to take a gap year or go to third option

Hello, I was predicted three a’s this year but messed up and got 3 b’s, meaning I didn’t get into my first choice of uni of Manchester, my second choice was Loughborough and I couldn’t go there as I couldn’t find accommodation within an affordable range. My question is would it be better to go to Leeds Beckett to study business this year or wait till next to apply to a higher ranked uni?
Hi there!

It all boils down to if you like Leeds Beckett or not. If you like the university, then by all means go study there this year. If you don't, then take a gap year and resit your A levels if necessary and apply to other places. You really shouldn't go chasing high ranking universities for the sake of going to a high ranking university, your future employers will only care about your degree classification and not where you studied, so you need to choose a place that you like and where you can thrive! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there!

It all boils down to if you like Leeds Beckett or not. If you like the university, then by all means go study there this year. If you don't, then take a gap year and resit your A levels if necessary and apply to other places. You really shouldn't go chasing high ranking universities for the sake of going to a high ranking university, your future employers will only care about your degree classification and not where you studied, so you need to choose a place that you like and where you can thrive! Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much for your response, this has helped me a lot because I like the uni and the course I was just worried about the rank, so am I correct in saying as long as I study well my future opportunities shouldn’t be limited?
Original post by Lk255
Thank you very much for your response, this has helped me a lot because I like the uni and the course I was just worried about the rank, so am I correct in saying as long as I study well my future opportunities shouldn’t be limited?

That's absolutely right :smile: You'll want to get a 2:1 or above in your degree classification and you should be alright. Bonus points for acquiring work experience, which I see may be possible at Leeds Beckett during an optional placement year (also called sandwich year on the funding bit. I guess the person writing the website got hungry :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending