The Student Room Group

The gap year

Should I take a gap year? What can I do during it?
Original post by dabrowska23

Get some work and earn some money, that’s what I’m doing.

Hi @dabrowska23

The decision to take a gap year largely depends on whether you feel you'd be ready to transition into higher education or if you'd want to wait a while before taking that step. Both are completely valid! Taking a gap year can also help you determine if university is really what you want to do or decide what course you'd want to. Especially if you were to get a job during your gap year, you'll acquire experience in the active working field and get an idea for what field of a career you might be interesting in going into or would definitely not want to go into.

But during a gap year, you can do anything! Getting a job, travelling, trying out new hobbies, building new skills etc. It's the perfect opportunity to try new things.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

I took one as I felt like I needed a break, done some work too

Hello,

I personally would really recommend taking a gap year : )

I didn't do one myself and came straight to university out of college and its something I wish I have done as I was only 18 when starting university, I have actually enjoyed university more as time has gone on and I think if Id have started a year later I would have felt just so much more ready, prepared and sure of myself. I would also love to travel and have a lot of experiences that a lot of my friends did on their gap years. I think its an amazing opportunity and if you can afford to I would recommend travelling as much as you'd like to and having the best time making new friends and a big relax between A-levels and your degree. Its also an opportunity to reflect on your time in education so far and what you want from your university experience, where you want to go and what you want to do : )

An alternative idea you could consider is a placement year in industry which is where you have a gap in-between the years of your degree where you go on placement in industry or a year abroad if your university offers these: )

I hope this is helpful, I am sure you will make a decision that if right for you.

Katie - Third year Psychology student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending