The Student Room Group

Tuition fee entitlement

Hi,

I studied pharmacy in 21/22 and failed to pass exams at the end of the year so I had to resit 2 exams at the end of the next year (22/23). The university classed me as an external student not in attendance and I did not enrol during this resit period, I only resat exams at the end of 22/23.

I failed to pass these exams and decided to change course, upon applying for student finance I was told I wasn’t entitled to tuition fee this year due to their entitlement calculation. I have seen that when you don’t enrol and you are not in attendance for a full year only resitting exams and not attending classes at the university, student finance doesn’t class it as a year of previous study. So my tuition fee calculation has been calculated wrong.

They think I have 2 years of previous study when in fact 1 year was previous study(21/22) and the other year(22/23) I resat 'not in attendance' only sitting reassessments and did not register at all, and did not receive any statutory support from the government which to them doesn't count as a year of study for student finance purposes.

so if my calculations are correct on how many years I should receive tuition fee funding I should be entitled to 3 years as the length of my new course (3), plus (1) year, minus previous years of study (1).

How do I communicate this to student finance?

Thank you
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Rose1239
Hi,

I studied pharmacy in 21/22 and failed to pass exams at the end of the year so I had to resit 2 exams at the end of the next year (22/23). The university classed me as an external student not in attendance and I did not enrol during this resit period, I only resat exams at the end of 22/23.

I failed to pass these exams and decided to change course, upon applying for student finance I was told I wasn’t entitled to tuition fee this year due to their entitlement calculation. I have seen that when you don’t enrol and you are not in attendance for a full year only resitting exams and not attending classes at the university, student finance doesn’t class it as a year of previous study. So my tuition fee calculation has been calculated wrong.

They think I have 2 years of previous study when in fact 1 year was previous study(21/22) and the other year(22/23) I resat 'not in attendance' only sitting reassessments and did not register at all, and did not receive any statutory support from the government which to them doesn't count as a year of study for student finance purposes.

so if my calculations are correct on how many years I should receive tuition fee funding I should be entitled to 3 years as the length of my new course (3), plus (1) year, minus previous years of study (1).

How do I communicate this to student finance?

Thank you

Hi there, Did you indicate 2 years of previous study on your application? If so we would require the university to provide us a letter confirming that you incorrectly advised and that you only have the 1 year of study for us to consider full funding. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Would this need to be done as a change of circumstance form?
Would this need to be done as a change of circumstance form?

Hi Rose, they would electronically send this to us confirming on it you were 'not in attendance'. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Then after my university send the notification to student finance, would my application Be reassessed and the correct tuition fee entitlement be given?
Then after my university send the notification to student finance, would my application Be reassessed and the correct tuition fee entitlement be given?

Hi Rose,

That's correct. It will update in an estimated 15 working days. That's the current estimated timescale once received. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending