The Student Room Group

Do you need to prepare for degrees?

Im about to start a degree in aerospace and aeronautical engineering and studied maths physics and econ. I met teh entry requirements which just asked for maths and physics with certain grades.
In my degree i know they teach pyhton CAD and many other programs ive never used before and i also beleive they will use further maths from alevel. So i was wondering do they teach this to us or are we expected to have some idea already on how to do it. I doubt this is the case as they would of had computer science and further maths in entry requirements so id presume its taught from scratch these new topics but i was wondering if any engineering students know about this and could give some inight.
Hi @charlie.R.12 , first of all congratulations on joining the world of STEM.
I understand your concerns but if your university is like most they will teach all if not most concepts from the ground up especially all Computer aided engineering modules. In my first year in the first couple of weeks we covered a lot of basic concepts in most of my subjects before proceeding onto new topic ( bare in mind that it will be revised very quickly and not in depth ). All CAE topics including CAD software and programming in MATLAB was taught as though we had never done it before.
If you end up needing more assistance than your class mates there should be tutors in place and academic centers to help you cover what you are missing . DMU prides itself on offering all our students multiple avenues to receive academic assistance and I am sure your university will have similar strategies in place .
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest