The Student Room Group

Official: University of Nottingham A108 2024 Entry Applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aks-y
What are your stats? Selection for interview is based solely on the number of points. In your case I think the best thing to do is contact them if you're certain your points add up to 114. Before that though, I would advise you do the following things.

1) Double check you meet the contextual criteria set out by the university and that your points do add up to 114 under their selection criteria.
2) Make sure your predicted/achieved grades don't meet the normal OR contextual A100 entry requirement.
3) Double check you meet the minimum GCSE grade requirements for english, maths and science.

It is also possible that those with lower scores than you who were invited to interview may have been given one via interview fast track as Nottingham has an outreach programme which guarantees an interview.

Send them an enquiry explaining the situation as it is entirely possible a mistake could have been made.

My stats were 2620 B1 88887766D* for GCSEs and I fit the contextual criteria, I couldn’t apply for the A100 course as I achieved BBB last year.
Reply 81
Original post by huz1111111
My stats were 2620 B1 88887766D* for GCSEs and I fit the contextual criteria, I couldn’t apply for the A100 course as I achieved BBB last year.

If the above information is true, then it can only be as a result of 2 situations:

1 - Cutoff was very high this year for non-outreach applicants
2 - They made a mistake

It can only be these two outcomes as they explicitly say that selection for interview is based solely on the points scored. In any event it would be worthwhile dropping them an enquiry and explaining the situation to confirm whether that is the case.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Aks-y
If the above information is true, then it can only be as a result of 2 situations:

1 - Cutoff was very high this year for non-outreach applicants
2 - They made a mistake

It can only be these two outcomes as they explicitly say that selection for interview is based solely on the points scored. In any event it would be worthwhile dropping them an enquiry and explaining the situation to confirm whether that is the case.

I don’t think it’s the cut off as I’ve seen people with lower points secure interviews.
Reply 83
I don’t think it’s the cut off as I’ve seen people with lower points secure interviews.

As I said previously people who attend Nottingham outreach programme and complete all the requirements like sitting UCAT and achieving Band 1-3 are guaranteed an interview which might explain why some people with lower points than you might have received interviews.

The other alternative is that a mistake was made in which case you need to send Nottingham admissions an enquiry outlining the situation to confirm whether that was the case. They are the only ones that can give you advice as to why your application may have been unsuccessful.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Studywithus/Enquiry.aspx

Hope this helps
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 84

do you meet one of the following: live in an area of low progression to university (only use the postcode searcher they provide on the notts website), completed one of their outreach programmes, have refugee status, was in care.

if you meet the 5 year course requirement you're not eligible, and cant apply for both this and the 5 year course.

you must have a min of grade 6 in maths, English lang and science. Must not be a GCSE Resit.

Must not be an A-Level resit.
Original post by 10958948t
do you meet one of the following: live in an area of low progression to university (only use the postcode searcher they provide on the notts website), completed one of their outreach programmes, have refugee status, was in care.

if you meet the 5 year course requirement you're not eligible, and cant apply for both this and the 5 year course.

you must have a min of grade 6 in maths, English lang and science. Must not be a GCSE Resit.

Must not be an A-Level resit.

Yh I meet all of them requirements I’ve done my a levels and got BBB
hi I just wanted to ask a few questions to clear up some misconception I have regarding the interview structure
Does the interview consist of 8 stations or 6? I've seen both number thrown around and its getting confusing.
Do we receive 1 min prep time before each station or did that only apply when the stations where "in person"?
Regarding "Ice breaker questions" I believe they are not marked but what does it entail is it just "how are you?" type of questions?

Thank you for any responses and I wish everyone the best.
Reply 87
Original post by ArumannCEA
hi I just wanted to ask a few questions to clear up some misconception I have regarding the interview structure
Does the interview consist of 8 stations or 6? I've seen both number thrown around and its getting confusing.
Do we receive 1 min prep time before each station or did that only apply when the stations where "in person"?
Regarding "Ice breaker questions" I believe they are not marked but what does it entail is it just "how are you?" type of questions?

Thank you for any responses and I wish everyone the best.

Don’t worry about icebreaker they can ask you any question so it’s not easy to predict. It has no relevance in terms of marks so just answer it truthfully.

You have six stations in total. They will give you the question by which you will then have 1 minute to think about it before you then have 5 minutes to answer it. They may cut you off within the 5 minutes to ask follow up questions.
Original post by Aks-y
Don’t worry about icebreaker they can ask you any question so it’s not easy to predict. It has no relevance in terms of marks so just answer it truthfully.

You have six stations in total. They will give you the question by which you will then have 1 minute to think about it before you then have 5 minutes to answer it. They may cut you off within the 5 minutes to ask follow up questions.

thank you
Reply 89
Just a quick question for interview, if you get asked a topic that you’ve never heard of, can I assume you can ask the interviewer before answering for a clarification?
Reply 90
Original post by Moni23
Just a quick question for interview, if you get asked a topic that you’ve never heard of, can I assume you can ask the interviewer before answering for a clarification?

yes
Reply 91
Original post by nxjmx123
yes

Thanks
Guys I got my interview on the 10th next week. Any advice??? Kinda interested to see how they do it
Reply 93
Original post by Hydrophobe
Guys I got my interview on the 10th next week. Any advice??? Kinda interested to see how they do it

All the necessary info in on the info briefing sheet. Beyond that, there's really nothing else apart from making sure you are doing sufficient interview practice putting emphasis on common stations for Nottingham such as role-play, ethics and communication.

Make sure that you test all your equipment ready for the day and try your best not to be stressed.

My interview is this Friday so I can understand being anxious. Top tip I received from one of my friends that's a 1st year medic at Nottingham is to not get flustered if they cut you of or if the interviewers are straight faced whilst your speaking.

Hope this helps and Good luck
(edited 3 months ago)
is it alright for me to wear my AirPods during the interview? coz my laptops mic is a bit crap
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 95
Original post by saismarisetty
is it alright for me to wear my AirPods during the interview? coz my laptops mic is a bit crap

As long as they can hear you then I think there’s no reason it shouldn’t be ok.
That may be something worth checking in one of the pre-interview briefing sessions they do.
Original post by Aks-y
As long as they can hear you then I think there’s no reason it shouldn’t be ok.
That may be something worth checking in one of the pre-interview briefing sessions they do.

unfortunately I cudnt attend the briefing session so I am not sure, I might just ask them before the interview starts
Reply 97
How did we all find the interview?
Reply 98
Original post by S. H
How did we all find the interview?

Generally ok tbf
Most stations I found good and around 2 stations I thought I performed ok in.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Aks-y
Generally ok tbf
Around 4/6 questions I found good and around 2 stations I thought I performed ok in.

has anyone got any offers i know they giving them for the 5year med course???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending