The Student Room Group

Stressed about starting A-Levels

I'm starting Year-12 on Monday with the a-levels maths, physics and computer science. In my GCSEs i got a 6 in maths, 6 in physics and a 5 in computer science, so i'm really stressed that i'll be behind everyone else. How are the first few weeks and is the content heavy off the bat? i don't really know how to pick myself up so could someone please give me advice so i don't fall behind from the get-go (like what i should revise and some tips for before class etc)... i'm also wondering if you get picked on when questions are asked?( i'm going to a sixth form)
Reply 1
Hey there, it’s easy to panic thinking that you’ll be behind others when starting but that’s not going to help you. I did Edexcel A Level Maths but not physics or computer science. Initially, the maths was just GCSE level maths but more sophisticated .All the newer stuff - I felt like we were eased into. However, my experience or anyone else’s may not mirror your one due to things like attending different sixth forms.

I’m sure there are other people also going to your sixth form with similar grades, even if they are a little higher though it doesn’t matter too much as you will all learn new things which you are unfamiliar with.

What you can do in the coming days is settle in and get used to the sixth form environment. Try your best not to slack off at home. Make a timetable with a quota for the amount of work you need to do for each subject each day e.g 50 mins per subject per day.
Keep up with all your homework - don’t leave it until the last day. I tried finishing my homework in 2-3 days after I got it but you should try and do whatever suits you as long as you aren’t procrastinating and delaying it all the way.

If you get stuck with anything - even managing your workload and time - go to your teachers and ask them for advice. Teachers are there to help.

If you start on Monday - there isn’t much you can revise in one day - just prepare yourself mentally to start learning things again. Maybe look at some GCSE content which is relevant if you really want to.
About getting picked on for questions - students do get picked on - however you shouldn’t feel as if you are any less than anyone in the class if you get the question wrong. Making mistakes is part of the process - anyone good at anything was once a beginner that made mistakes. If you do make a mistake - don’t focus on that - focus on how you can learn from it and avoid making it another time.

Goodluck with your sixth form journey. Try to like it as much as you can.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest