The Student Room Group

Trains

I’m going into university September 2024, should I start learning how to use the trains?
I’ve never used the trains on my own and have only ever gone on with parents or family.
How did u learn ? Was it easy? Did u ever get lost? I’m worried. I’ve only just learnt how to use the buses. What resources can I use to help me learn to adjust to using trains myself?
Firstly, where are you located?

Also: if you know how to use buses, trains are similar.
Reply 2
Original post by Leaderboard
Firstly, where are you located?

Also: if you know how to use buses, trains are similar.

Located in London
Original post by Syed998
Located in London

No different then. You can keep using Oyster cards if you're travelling within London (and some parts near it).
Reply 4
Are you referring to proper trains (i.e. intercity) or the Underground?
assuming you are using "proper" trains to get somewhere outside London, there are 2 parts, getting tickets and using service

I use CrossCountry website / App to search for and buy my tickets (other options, like Trainline, can charge an admin fee). Set train times can be cheaper than buying open (travel on any train) tickets, but not always - beware if you buy a ticket for a specific train time or specific train company you can be fined for using a different service

Prices are usually cheapest 10 weeks or so out, they dont usually get cheaper last minute, so if you know the date / time / route then get the tickets

There is something called split ticketing that can save money for longer journeys

Depending on the Uni you are going to there will be different arrangements to get there, some (like Birmingham) have their own train station, other Unis can be a fair way from the actual train station

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending