The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Fan in accommodation room

due to a disability, i must have a fan in my accommodation room. i thought this would be allowed anyway? is this correct? i’m going to york st john university.
Original post by Anonymous
due to a disability, i must have a fan in my accommodation room. i thought this would be allowed anyway? is this correct? i’m going to york st john university.

Hi there! I hope you're doing okay.

I attend York St John University and was certain that fans were permitted in the accommodation but checked the accommodation agreement just to be sure and it says nothing about fans being prohibited in the accommodation. Here is a link to the agreement if you were interested: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/media/content-assets/accommodation/documents/Accommodation-Handbook-2023---2.pdf

Good luck for September! I hope you enjoy your accommodation and uni experience!

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there! I hope you're doing okay.

I attend York St John University and was certain that fans were permitted in the accommodation but checked the accommodation agreement just to be sure and it says nothing about fans being prohibited in the accommodation. Here is a link to the agreement if you were interested: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/media/content-assets/accommodation/documents/Accommodation-Handbook-2023---2.pdf

Good luck for September! I hope you enjoy your accommodation and uni experience!

Rachel- YSJ student rep

hi! thank you so much. i have anxiety and if i can’t have a fan it would cause issues so was worried thank you for replying :smile:
hi! thank you so much. i have anxiety and if i can’t have a fan it would cause issues so was worried thank you for replying :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad I could help ease your mind about it. Hopefully you'll have a super smooth start to the year and will enjoy York St John! If you have any more questions or worries then do not hesitate to ask. If you feel that you are struggling at all during your uni experience, I would recommend that you make contact with our wellbeing support. https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/health-and-wellbeing/wellbeing-support/ - this is a link from the website to access the support. If you self-refer yourself, then you will be asked to fill out a form and then attend a 1-1 appointment with someone from the support team.

Good luck moving in!

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 4

Well If it’s required due to a disability then I’m sure it’ll be allowed however I had a mate staying in the room next to me and had a fan. This led to the room on fire….

The university wasn’t happy at all.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad I could help ease your mind about it. Hopefully you'll have a super smooth start to the year and will enjoy York St John! If you have any more questions or worries then do not hesitate to ask. If you feel that you are struggling at all during your uni experience, I would recommend that you make contact with our wellbeing support. https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/health-and-wellbeing/wellbeing-support/ - this is a link from the website to access the support. If you self-refer yourself, then you will be asked to fill out a form and then attend a 1-1 appointment with someone from the support team.

Good luck moving in!

Rachel- YSJ student rep

hi, also can i just ask you what’s the procedure if i need to move accommodation once i have moved in? my parents said they would help me pack my stuff but can i ask like what the procedure is?
hi, also can i just ask you what’s the procedure if i need to move accommodation once i have moved in? my parents said they would help me pack my stuff but can i ask like what the procedure is?

Hi there!

If you have any issues with your accommodation or must move to a different residence, then I think you have to contact [email protected] to discuss the issue. Your would probably be given a time period to move out and to move into the new place and the contract would change so you pay the new amount.

I hope that answers your question.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Hi there!

If you have any issues with your accommodation or must move to a different residence, then I think you have to contact [email protected] to discuss the issue. Your would probably be given a time period to move out and to move into the new place and the contract would change so you pay the new amount.

I hope that answers your question.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Just to add on to this, I did a little more research and if you wish to move rooms, then I would advise you refer to the https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/media/content-assets/document-directory/documents/2019-20-Room-Move-Policy.pdf (room move policy).

This is also a point from the Accommodation terms and conditions: Moving rooms
6.1 If you wish to change rooms during your Period of Residence, you will need to submit a written request
in accordance with the Room Move Policy. Room moves are subject to availability, and an
administration fee of £50 will be payable for facilitating a room move. If you move to a higher- or lowerpriced room, your Accommodation Fees will be adjusted accordingly.
6.2 We have the right to move you to alternative accommodation at any time during your Period of
Residence, and may do so if:
(a) we consider that it would be in the interests of the University and/or the immediate community, or
(b) the accommodation becomes unavailable for occupation (including where substantial repair works
are necessary).
If we move you to a lower-priced room, your Accommodation Fees will be adjusted accordingly.

I hope this helped and I hope you enjoy your first year at YSJ!

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending