The Student Room Group

IB Maths

Hi, just looking for a quick bit of IB subject advice. Had first Maths AA HL lesson and obviously I knew it would be a lot of work but our teacher basically spent 45 min telling us how we'd all do badly and it was way too difficult etc etc. Just wondering whether to drop it to SL (I have to go to History HL lessons anyway so would be easy). I'll definitely give it a few weeks but would obv rather do it sooner rather than later. Just for added context, I'm thinking of doing medicine :smile:
Original post by lau321
Hi, just looking for a quick bit of IB subject advice. Had first Maths AA HL lesson and obviously I knew it would be a lot of work but our teacher basically spent 45 min telling us how we'd all do badly and it was way too difficult etc etc. Just wondering whether to drop it to SL (I have to go to History HL lessons anyway so would be easy). I'll definitely give it a few weeks but would obv rather do it sooner rather than later. Just for added context, I'm thinking of doing medicine :smile:

You do not need Maths AA HL for medicine, SL is fine. However, please do not listen to that teacher! Maths HL is definitely tough and a humbling experience but at least try it for a couple of weeks before you drop down. I spent the majority of year 12 debating whether to drop it and then started to really love it in year 13. The difficulty is a big jump and thus year 12 will be very tough (get used to doing less well and getting things wrong) but if you put in some work, it will start to pay off. Basically find out if you enjoy it enough to put in the practice. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Annabelle90210
You do not need Maths AA HL for medicine, SL is fine. However, please do not listen to that teacher! Maths HL is definitely tough and a humbling experience but at least try it for a couple of weeks before you drop down. I spent the majority of year 12 debating whether to drop it and then started to really love it in year 13. The difficulty is a big jump and thus year 12 will be very tough (get used to doing less well and getting things wrong) but if you put in some work, it will start to pay off. Basically find out if you enjoy it enough to put in the practice. Good luck!

thank you- I'm definitely going to give it some time before making any decisions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending