The Student Room Group

struggles with a-levels

over the past year to two years, i've been struggling with both my physical and mental health quite a bit and they've both become worse recently. At the same time as this, i've started college and have begun my a-level courses. I've taken maths, biology and history since those all interest me the most and i wasn't interested in any other courses - despite my background in music/dance/theatre. I took a gcse ability test on friday for maths to assess if youre going to be suitable to continue the course. I think i failed that test and was unable to show my ability to do maths well and now i'm really stressed that i'll be told i can't do maths. With everything going on with my health problems i dont know if i'll be able to manage the stress of my three a-level choices but i doubt id be happy if i changed any of them. I really am scared about maths and i feel like if i try to explain myself and my results the teacher will see it as an excuse and just say im unfit to be doing maths a-level. I really don't know what to do so some advice will be helpful.
Original post by nothoughts
over the past year to two years, i've been struggling with both my physical and mental health quite a bit and they've both become worse recently. At the same time as this, i've started college and have begun my a-level courses. I've taken maths, biology and history since those all interest me the most and i wasn't interested in any other courses - despite my background in music/dance/theatre. I took a gcse ability test on friday for maths to assess if youre going to be suitable to continue the course. I think i failed that test and was unable to show my ability to do maths well and now i'm really stressed that i'll be told i can't do maths. With everything going on with my health problems i dont know if i'll be able to manage the stress of my three a-level choices but i doubt id be happy if i changed any of them. I really am scared about maths and i feel like if i try to explain myself and my results the teacher will see it as an excuse and just say im unfit to be doing maths a-level. I really don't know what to do so some advice will be helpful.

Don't worry I understand how you feel. My school had the same system except we needed an 80+ to go to A level maths. If you really want to do maths, request to take it again. Meet with the head of the math department (or your teacher not sure how your school is formatted). If you can, bring your parents to insist on retake/or taking the subject itself. In regard to the course, A-levels will seem hard at first but with proper management I know you can do it.
Reply 2
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Don't worry I understand how you feel. My school had the same system except we needed an 80+ to go to A level maths. If you really want to do maths, request to take it again. Meet with the head of the math department (or your teacher not sure how your school is formatted). If you can, bring your parents to insist on retake/or taking the subject itself. In regard to the course, A-levels will seem hard at first but with proper management I know you can do it.

I’m not sure if that is necessarily the best course of action. If they worked hard for the test but did not manage to got the required grade to continue with maths A-level, it might be best to swap to another subject. Change can be unsettling, but in the long run, doing another subject might be best, as it is not going to be great if they struggle with maths for 2 years and still get a low grade. They could thrive in another subject.
Original post by lalexm
I’m not sure if that is necessarily the best course of action. If they worked hard for the test but did not manage to got the required grade to continue with maths A-level, it might be best to swap to another subject. Change can be unsettling, but in the long run, doing another subject might be best, as it is not going to be great if they struggle with maths for 2 years and still get a low grade. They could thrive in another subject.

I get where you're coming from, but I sort of disagree. I faced the same situation but instead of not getting the grade for the test, I always got Cs and Ds in Math during my GCSES which almost got me kicked out of being able to do Math for A levels. However, since I was so determined to do Math, I eventually got in and ended up doing well in the real exam and during my AS. What I'm trying to say with saying all of this is that it's possible. If OP is adamant in taking math, they should be given a second chance. They even mentioned that they have been struggling with their physical and mental health which would've contributed towards their performance. OP, please prioritize your health! :pinch:
Reply 4
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
I get where you're coming from, but I sort of disagree. I faced the same situation but instead of not getting the grade for the test, I always got Cs and Ds in Math during my GCSES which almost got me kicked out of being able to do Math for A levels. However, since I was so determined to do Math, I eventually got in and ended up doing well in the real exam and during my AS. What I'm trying to say with saying all of this is that it's possible. If OP is adamant in taking math, they should be given a second chance. They even mentioned that they have been struggling with their physical and mental health which would've contributed towards their performance. OP, please prioritize your health!

It depends, as every case is different. I also know people that did not do well in their initial maths tests, and were asked to reconsider, but they insisted on continuing, and two years later ended up getting a U. You are right, it is possible, but it can also go horribly wrong, so don’t automatically reject teachers recommendations.
Original post by lalexm
It depends, as every case is different. I also know people that did not do well in their initial maths tests, and were asked to reconsider, but they insisted on continuing, and two years later ended up getting a U. You are right, it is possible, but it can also go horribly wrong, so don’t automatically reject teachers recommendations.

Of course, teachers recommendations are very important to know if you will do well but you know yourself more than your teachers. It was me believing in myself and my abilities (or lack thereof at the time) that got me my grade for AS. I know my situation is not applicable to everyone but I hope it shows that there is a chance even if small.

Quick Reply

Latest