The Student Room Group

is my epq idea a good one?

hey i've decide on what i want to do for my epq and i am really passionate about medicine and biomedical science :smile: my idea is: to what extent does amniocentesis (and other invasive DNA tests) cause miscarriage or premature birth?
In this topics i would research the positives of this type of testing but also the risks of it (big or small), its effectiveness and any technological advancements / research into other methods of diagnosis of diseases such as down syndrome.
i don't know whether or not this subject is too narrow, its just i am really passionate about this and want to go into paediatrics or obstetrics one day! also i am not sure how to access any research papers or articles as i have tried to research into this topic on websites like JSTOR and PubMed but they all need a login but i guess my school will talk to us about that? thank you
Original post by oort.cloud
hey i've decide on what i want to do for my epq and i am really passionate about medicine and biomedical science :smile: my idea is: to what extent does amniocentesis (and other invasive DNA tests) cause miscarriage or premature birth?
In this topics i would research the positives of this type of testing but also the risks of it (big or small), its effectiveness and any technological advancements / research into other methods of diagnosis of diseases such as down syndrome.
i don't know whether or not this subject is too narrow, its just i am really passionate about this and want to go into paediatrics or obstetrics one day! also i am not sure how to access any research papers or articles as i have tried to research into this topic on websites like JSTOR and PubMed but they all need a login but i guess my school will talk to us about that? thank you

This is a good idea. With med EPQs they don't like questions which explore a topic too generally (so the fact that you have chosen to narrow it down is great) and the fact that you relate this to your passions is great and something you must mention in your production log. Yes my school provided each student with a JSTOR account. Some PubMed publications are published in the form of PDFs so you can search up the title on google. One way you can show progress is to initially present your question (similar to the idea you have presented) in a more vague manner. Then for your candidate proposal you present the current idea you have: to what extent does amniocentesis (and other invasive DNA tests) cause miscarriage or premature birth?. Then state that you have decided to narrow it down so that you can create a more argumentative essay which allows you to research both the positives and the risks. Just a thing to consider. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
This is a good idea. With med EPQs they don't like questions which explore a topic too generally (so the fact that you have chosen to narrow it down is great) and the fact that you relate this to your passions is great and something you must mention in your production log. Yes my school provided each student with a JSTOR account. Some PubMed publications are published in the form of PDFs so you can search up the title on google. One way you can show progress is to initially present your question (similar to the idea you have presented) in a more vague manner. Then for your candidate proposal you present the current idea you have: to what extent does amniocentesis (and other invasive DNA tests) cause miscarriage or premature birth?. Then state that you have decided to narrow it down so that you can create a more argumentative essay which allows you to research both the positives and the risks. Just a thing to consider. Hope this helps!

thank you so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending