The Student Room Group

Is a degree in 'Mathematics with Finance and Accounting' good?

I don't know if I should go for a straight BSc Mathematics degree or the one that says BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting? I like the topics explored in Finance and Accounting however I don't know how employers will look at me differently...

(For context these are the courses for Queen Mary University of London)

I'm just worried if one will close more doors than the other for the stem jobs.
(edited 7 months ago)
Neither will block off avenues. You’ll likely work in finance anyway if you do pure maths so may as well give yourself a head start and do the finance component. Unless you intend to go down academic route, pure math’s possibly closes more doors (not that pure maths should close any doors). Finance will probs make it easier giving you a better grade making you even more employable
Original post by beatricehalley
I don't know if I should go for a straight BSc Mathematics degree or the one that says BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting? I like the topics explored in Finance and Accounting however I don't know how employers will look at me differently...

Good for what?

Most employers don't care what your degree title or name is at all, and only care about either a) that you have a degree at all (usually at 2:1 or above) or b) that you have a "numerate" degree which will generally encompass both these and quite a few other courses but will be more based on the content of the degree rather than the name.
Reply 3
Original post by beatricehalley

Well it's not "good" if you want to be a bricklayer :biggrin:

It really depends where your interests lie and what your career ambitions are. If you see yourself working in finance or accounting, then either degree would be fine, and as mentioned above, it's the fact that you have a "numerate" degree that is the important thing.

But I'm a bit puzzled when you refer to the "stem jobs" - this phrase usually specifically indicates jobs in technology / science / engineering (hence the acronym!), so for these you would normally want to go for a traditional maths (or science) degree, not something with a financial component.
Original post by davros
Well it's not "good" if you want to be a bricklayer :biggrin:

It really depends where your interests lie and what your career ambitions are. If you see yourself working in finance or accounting, then either degree would be fine, and as mentioned above, it's the fact that you have a "numerate" degree that is the important thing.

But I'm a bit puzzled when you refer to the "stem jobs" - this phrase usually specifically indicates jobs in technology / science / engineering (hence the acronym!), so for these you would normally want to go for a traditional maths (or science) degree, not something with a financial component.

True I guess that's why I'm torn between the two. If that's the case then that would mean leaving the finance / business components out and going for something with stats instead even. I guess that's up to me for my own preference that no one can really force me to decide. But thanks for helping me calm down again and think this through without anything confusing me.
Original post by 3Engineer141592
Neither will block off avenues. You’ll likely work in finance anyway if you do pure maths so may as well give yourself a head start and do the finance component. Unless you intend to go down academic route, pure math’s possibly closes more doors (not that pure maths should close any doors). Finance will probs make it easier giving you a better grade making you even more employable

Yeah so I guess it's just a preference thing then. If I want to go for more 'stem' positions leaving the business / finance stuff out will help me more but that's not to say that I can't still get a stem position regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest