The Student Room Group

my ex bf's family is not happy with him converting, what should i do?

recently, i broke up with my catholic boyfriend of nearly 2 years because i didn't feel like it was right being in a haram relationship. he knows my religion, and throughout it, hes being showing interest and always respected my religion.

however, i made it clear to him that we cannot get married because you are not Muslim and its prohibited. for the past couple of months, he has been learning about the religion just to understand why i do things differently etc. ever since he met me, hes stopped drinking, smoking, partying, etc.

he told me he was interested in learning more about the religion and wanted to see where it would take him in the future. let me make it clear, i DID NOT force him/manipulate him into thinking about converting or about learning the religion. he simply did it because he genuinely wanted to.

yday, he broke the news to his catholic mum and sister saying that he wants to continue learning about the religion despite us being broken up. and well, it was chaos from there. they were not happy, they were crying, etc.

his sister sent me a long message basically stating 'why couldn't you guys have found a middle ground solution for this'? 'he is sacrificing everything, his family, it feels one sided knowing that you don't lose anything' 'its offensive knowing that he thought about converting despite us raising him as a catholic'.

i haven't responded yet but realistically, theres no middle ground. ive told him that i don't want him to jeapordise anything with his family but he said he'll find a way around it that makes both parties happy. i don't want him to convert knowing that his family will disown him for doing so. what should i do and how should i respond to the sister?
You shouldn't expect him to convert if you were not willing to do it for him. That is not the law of equivalent exchange
Original post by Anonymous
recently, i broke up with my catholic boyfriend of nearly 2 years because i didn't feel like it was right being in a haram relationship. he knows my religion, and throughout it, hes being showing interest and always respected my religion.

however, i made it clear to him that we cannot get married because you are not Muslim and its prohibited. for the past couple of months, he has been learning about the religion just to understand why i do things differently etc. ever since he met me, hes stopped drinking, smoking, partying, etc.

he told me he was interested in learning more about the religion and wanted to see where it would take him in the future. let me make it clear, i DID NOT force him/manipulate him into thinking about converting or about learning the religion. he simply did it because he genuinely wanted to.

yday, he broke the news to his catholic mum and sister saying that he wants to continue learning about the religion despite us being broken up. and well, it was chaos from there. they were not happy, they were crying, etc.

his sister sent me a long message basically stating 'why couldn't you guys have found a middle ground solution for this'? 'he is sacrificing everything, his family, it feels one sided knowing that you don't lose anything' 'its offensive knowing that he thought about converting despite us raising him as a catholic'.

i haven't responded yet but realistically, theres no middle ground. ive told him that i don't want him to jeapordise anything with his family but he said he'll find a way around it that makes both parties happy. i don't want him to convert knowing that his family will disown him for doing so. what should i do and how should i respond to the sister?

Well you’re not at fault because you voiced your concerns with him and left it at that’s, but he was the one who went to explore the religion and you didn’t force him. Talk about forcing thing upon others it’s the parents that are displaying that behaviour, let him do whatever he wants to do
Original post by Guru Jason
You shouldn't expect him to convert if you were not willing to do it for him. That is not the law of equivalent exchange

She didn’t say he expected him to convert…..
Reply 4
Original post by B7861
She didn’t say he expected him to convert…..

that’s correct, i didn’t expect him too. that’s why i ended our relationship before things went further. he’s been very adamant on trying to learn the religion, i just don’t know how to respond to his sister who probably hates me and thinks i forced him to
Original post by Anonymous
that’s correct, i didn’t expect him too. that’s why i ended our relationship before things went further. he’s been very adamant on trying to learn the religion, i just don’t know how to respond to his sister who probably hates me and thinks i forced him to

Just stay true to yourself, forget them if they believe you’re forced him because you didn’t. It’s good he’s exploring Islam, allot of people have the wrong idea
of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending