The Student Room Group

TERRIBLE at ucat (advice pleaseee)

So I can’t get above 580 in any practice tests. I feel so disheartened because I don’t seem to improve. I might do the test on the 12th of September or later. I don’t understand why I’m so terrible at this. I got all A* at gcse yet I’m wayyy below average in this one. I’m panicking I won’t get into med school anywhere.
Original post by Anna191817
So I can’t get above 580 in any practice tests. I feel so disheartened because I don’t seem to improve. I might do the test on the 12th of September or later. I don’t understand why I’m so terrible at this. I got all A* at gcse yet I’m wayyy below average in this one. I’m panicking I won’t get into med school anywhere.

These tests have more factors other than wrote learning, which is the most successful at GCSE for achieving high grades.

Test strategy: look at the key resources online for this.

Practice: although this can only get you so far...

The reality is do your best, prepare as much as you can, but with tests that also measure critical thinking and reasoning, you cant just wrote learn your way to a perfect score, intellect and cognitive skills play a much larger part.

Best of luck.
While doing the test earlier is recommended, perhaps giving yourself longer to practice is a good idea by delaying. What resources are you using? I would recommend when you are just starting preparation, don't practice under fully timed conditions to get used to the style of questions. You still have plenty of time to improve, don't worry!

However, the UCAT is meant to be an aptitude test and while practice can massively improve your score, not everyone is going to get 800+. So maybe look at the BMAT or UCAT universities that don't put much emphasis on your score.
Original post by Examsareoversoon
While doing the test earlier is recommended, perhaps giving yourself longer to practice is a good idea by delaying. What resources are you using? I would recommend when you are just starting preparation, don't practice under fully timed conditions to get used to the style of questions. You still have plenty of time to improve, don't worry!

However, the UCAT is meant to be an aptitude test and while practice can massively improve your score, not everyone is going to get 800+. So maybe look at the BMAT or UCAT universities that don't put much emphasis on your score.

I’m using medentry practice test

Dont worry, everything will work out in the end, you’ll end up doing better on your actual test then practices anyway. I was in the same position, my practices got me no further then the 400s and I ended up with a 650 average which got me an interview at Kings. The UCAT is by far the strangest exam you’ll ever sit imo. And as for apptitude, I’m not good at the UCAT but somehow scored in the top decile of Cambridge applicants on the BMAT, go figure out how it’s an apptitude test now?!
Original post by WanderlustWilson
Dont worry, everything will work out in the end, you’ll end up doing better on your actual test then practices anyway. I was in the same position, my practices got me no further then the 400s and I ended up with a 650 average which got me an interview at Kings. The UCAT is by far the strangest exam you’ll ever sit imo. And as for apptitude, I’m not good at the UCAT but somehow scored in the top decile of Cambridge applicants on the BMAT, go figure out how it’s an apptitude test now?!

True especially as both exams are meant to test similar skills!
I’m using medentry practice test

I don't know how reliable that is, but lots of people find that medify is one of the most representative services of the real ucat. Have you tried questions under non timed conditions? Are you focusing on your weakest subtests? I spent a lot more time on AR because I found it impossible at first but spend much less time on VR and SJT because I was already much better at those.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by WanderlustWilson

Just testing an aptitude for different things?
As Albert Einstein wrote, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
The UCAT tested aptitudes you were not as good at as those tested by the BMAT
Reply 8
Original post by username3983032

hi, i am a about to sit my ucat in about 20 days,. up till now i been revising for 4 week straight putting 4 to 5 hours everyday and for some reason i am not improving in quantitative and verbal reasoning getting 550 max. i tried everything, reviewing my answers, and attempting the wrong answers first before checking what went wrong but i am worried its no help and my abstract reasoning section was getting good as so i thought i was getting 700 to 840 in the practice mocks but now i am doing practice questions and finding most of them hard. you said that u were getting 400 in ur practice. and got 650. Did it just happened on the day? also i am using medify
Reply 9
(Original post by username2391805)So I can’t get above 580 in any practice tests. I feel so disheartened because I don’t seem to improve. I might do the test on the 12th of September or later. I don’t understand why I’m so terrible at this. I got all A* at gcse yet I’m wayyy below average in this one. I’m panicking I won’t get into med school anywhere.

hi, i am in a similar position to u are, and i am putting 5 hours everyday seeing little to no improvement and i have only 18 days left before the test. did u find the ucat easy on the day. did u do good please give some advice. i feel extremely dumb at the moment even though i get a stars in my alevels and gcse. so thats why i would really appreciate if u could tell me if u tackled through this
Reply 10
Original post by mikoimran
hi, i am a about to sit my ucat in about 20 days,. up till now i been revising for 4 week straight putting 4 to 5 hours everyday and for some reason i am not improving in quantitative and verbal reasoning getting 550 max. i tried everything, reviewing my answers, and attempting the wrong answers first before checking what went wrong but i am worried its no help and my abstract reasoning section was getting good as so i thought i was getting 700 to 840 in the practice mocks but now i am doing practice questions and finding most of them hard. you said that u were getting 400 in ur practice. and got 650. Did it just happened on the day? also i am using medify

Hi. The posts that you have responded to are over 4 years old.

You are likely to get a response and more current advice if you post in the 2024 UCAT thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7328835

Good luck
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending