The Student Room Group

English lit, didn't use the extract?

Join our AQA GCSE English Lit 2023 Paper 1 chat here and find out how others found the exam

Did GCSE paper 1 the other day and just realised that I didn't refer to the extract on the first question, now I'm really worried I've messed it all up. I get that I won't be able to get a high mark on that question now, but will I at least be able to get a passing grade? or is that just 30 marks gone?
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to hear that, I'm not too sure but I know you have to at least say one sentence on the extract. You should be able to pick up a few marks from talking about the overall text but I haven't heard of too many cases where just the overall play is used. It's weird because if you know about the wider play, they would probably think that using the extract should be pretty easy. Try not to worry as it's over now. Enjoy the holiday and get ready for your remaining exams! Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by tvasiloiu
Sorry to hear that, I'm not too sure but I know you have to at least say one sentence on the extract. You should be able to pick up a few marks from talking about the overall text but I haven't heard of too many cases where just the overall play is used. It's weird because if you know about the wider play, they would probably think that using the extract should be pretty easy. Try not to worry as it's over now. Enjoy the holiday and get ready for your remaining exams! Good luck!

yeah it was really stupid of me I just completely freaked in the exam and forgot lol. Oh well what's done is done. Thanks for answering :smile:
I wouldn't worry - you might get a nice examiner. I know in my poetry question for my mock, I completely fluked it with no quotes and literally no understanding of Charge of The Light Brigade. But it paid off! 27/30 marks with absolutely no background knowledge. Just goes to show that the questions you think you've done bad on, might end up being the best ones. Plus depending on how else the nation's done, you might be sitting on a 9 right now. Good luck for Aug 23rd!
Reply 4
I wouldn't worry - you might get a nice examiner. I know in my poetry question for my mock, I completely fluked it with no quotes and literally no understanding of Charge of The Light Brigade. But it paid off! 27/30 marks with absolutely no background knowledge. Just goes to show that the questions you think you've done bad on, might end up being the best ones. Plus depending on how else the nation's done, you might be sitting on a 9 right now. Good luck for Aug 23rd!

woah that's amazing, and thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by rosedoorway
Did GCSE paper 1 the other day and just realised that I didn't refer to the extract on the first question, now I'm really worried I've messed it all up. I get that I won't be able to get a high mark on that question now, but will I at least be able to get a passing grade? or is that just 30 marks gone?

Ive just realised I’ve done the exact same and now I’m so upset. I’m glad to see someone else is feeling the same. Not much we can do now though sadly🤷🏽*♀️
english lit, didnt try at all.
Don't you get 15 marks for referring to the extract and 15 marks for referring to the whole of the play/novel?

What if you have done your essay mostly on the extract but little on outside the extract?
Original post by EddieW123
What if you have done your essay mostly on the extract but little on outside the extract?

You have to talk about the extract and the rest of the text. The amount you write for each doesn't affect your mark. It can be 90% extract, 10% wider text or vice versa. You'll be fine!
You have to talk about the extract and the rest of the text. The amount you write for each doesn't affect your mark. It can be 90% extract, 10% wider text or vice versa. You'll be fine!

Thanks for the reassurance g
Original post by JCnew
Ive just realised I’ve done the exact same and now I’m so upset. I’m glad to see someone else is feeling the same. Not much we can do now though sadly🤷🏽*♀️

how did you do?
got a 9 so I don’t really think it mattered too much. Thank u for asking <3 I’m not sure if you did you gcse’s this year... but if you did, how did it go for you?
So u got a 9 without including the extract
U sure
Pls reply
Yes? Why would I lie🤣 this was four years ago though, must have had a nice examiner
Original post by SolemnSolem
Pls reply

so don’t stress if you didn’t either, as long as you did a strong essay overall should be fine x
Original post by Jodie988
Yes? Why would I lie🤣 this was four years ago though, must have had a nice examiner
I didn't use extract
Would I still get a 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending