The Student Room Group

Couldn't find a 'grad scheme'? Tough luck! Won't be eligible next year. Systemic BS!

* I message recruiter about job *
Me: I graduated last year, and I'm interested in X role.

Recruiter: Sorry honey, you are unfortunately not eligible. You must have graduated in the past 6-12 months. Consider a role for experienced applicants.

Me: But I am not experienced!

Recruiter: Oh, apologies for the confusion, I meant to say, you are not eligible if you have more than 6-12 months of experience!!

* I apply *

Result: You are not eligible.

* I e-mail them to see what on Earth! *

Them: Apologies for the confusion, you are right. We will send you the assessment.

* I wait, assessment doesn't arrive, I e-mail again a week after *

Someone else answers: You are not eligible as you have graduated more than 6 months ago.

Graduate schemes MUST BE SCRAPED!

We are no less qualified than someone with 3 years of experience, unless the job is in Law, Medicine, or other regulated profession. This one wasn't!!

Simple requirements for entry level roles: 3 years of experience and/or a Bachelor's degree.

SIMPLE TO NAVIGATE. Everything else is MARKETING and PR!

So, if you can't find any 'GrAD SChEme' in 1 year, GOOD BYE CAREER! Because, if you're in a Tech job like me, you WON'T find any Junior Software Developer roles! No one would take you outside GrAd ScHeMEs!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Graduate schemes you typically apply for whilst in your final year - not to sound condescending but what were you doing for the past year since graduating?
Original post by 187sab
Graduate schemes you typically apply for whilst in your final year - not to sound condescending but what were you doing for the past year since graduating?

As someone in a similar situation (graduated in ~Oct 2022), I was laid off about five months into the job (in April 2023). That was too late to apply for graduate roles for September 2023, so I was forced to wait for the 2024 application cycle. Now some companies have confirmed that I am not eligible for graduate roles since they only allow those that have graduated within one year of starting.

The advice I've been given is to apply for standard experienced roles, but that normally requires 2+ years of industry experience (and I did try). Hence the "ugly spot" the OP is describing.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest