The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship during gap year?

I'm on a gap year and am not sure what I want to do for a degree/apprenticeship next year. I wanted to find a job that is less than 30 hours a week, but finding any job is difficult, let alone finding a job with such conditions. I was thinking maybe I could do a (Level 3?) apprenticeship during my gap year that would allow me to work in an office environment and maybe get away with actually working for only around 30 hours instead of 40. In this case I'd probably not disclose that I am planning on going to university or doing a different apprenticeship next year, as apprenticeships can't be completed in such a short amount of time.
Is my plan feasible? Can I find a job that requires me to only work around 30 hours a week?Thanks.
If you want reliable work while standing around; look at traffic control. You can do a quick 2 day course and get the licenses you need.
Or laborer jobs
Reply 2
Original post by Sparkiemate
If you want reliable work while standing around; look at traffic control. You can do a quick 2 day course and get the licenses you need.
Or laborer jobs

what do you mean by traffic control and laborer jobs?
Reply 3
I’d suggest a standard school leavers job or whatever you can get, shift work if you want reduced hours. It will also look better on your CV than an apprenticeship drop out would.

I’m taking on a couple of degree apprentices next year and I certainly would view a level 3 drop out as a major red flag. We do speak to your references, confirm your job title, and the duration of your employment. I wouldn’t want to take the risk of allocating people and equipment resource to train someone who I’d consider at risk of quitting.
Reply 4
Original post by Chris2892
I’d suggest a standard school leavers job or whatever you can get, shift work if you want reduced hours. It will also look better on your CV than an apprenticeship drop out would.

I’m taking on a couple of degree apprentices next year and I certainly would view a level 3 drop out as a major red flag. We do speak to your references, confirm your job title, and the duration of your employment. I wouldn’t want to take the risk of allocating people and equipment resource to train someone who I’d consider at risk of quitting.

Fair enough, that makes sense. So best to not look for apprenticeships if I want reduced hours during my gap year. Might take longer to find something but it's not worth the potential harm it may cause down the line, especially if like you say the prospective employer may talk to my current employer.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris2892

When you say 'we confirm your job title' what would be the consequences of my employer finding out I'm planning on leaving for something else? Would they keep me on for the rest of the time I stay or could I get kicked out early?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending