The Student Room Group

help with gap year

can start an apprenticeship in this gap year then just drop out next year to go to uni ?
Hello there! Yes you can, but it's unlikely that you'll get an apprenticeship since you'll have to sit interviews and they'll ask you about your future plans... apprenticeships are the sort of things that will reject you if they know that you won't stick around and see them through. Since you're just looking for something to do in your gap year rather than actually finish an apprenticeship, you ought to search for jobs, since a lot of the entry-level jobs don't mind at all that you're only staying for a year - I was a care assistant for most of my gap year and during my interview, I did have to tell them I was going to leave them on a year's time for university and they hired me just the same!

Out of curiosity, what are you planning on studying at university?
Reply 2
med so was thinking some pharmacy dispenser apprenthip or something

Original post by Scotland Yard
Hello there! Yes you can, but it's unlikely that you'll get an apprenticeship since you'll have to sit interviews and they'll ask you about your future plans... apprenticeships are the sort of things that will reject you if they know that you won't stick around and see them through. Since you're just looking for something to do in your gap year rather than actually finish an apprenticeship, you ought to search for jobs, since a lot of the entry-level jobs don't mind at all that you're only staying for a year - I was a care assistant for most of my gap year and during my interview, I did have to tell them I was going to leave them on a year's time for university and they hired me just the same!

Out of curiosity, what are you planning on studying at university?
Original post by examboard
med so was thinking some pharmacy dispenser apprenthip or something

Righto. Something a little more hands-on is ideal for Medicine, such as care assistant. It's not the prettiest of jobs but it'll teach you a lot about the state of health and social care and a lot about humanity and dignity. But to be honest, you can probably work something a little more agreeable (receptionist, cashier at Tesco's, waiter...) and get relevant work experience through volunteering at your local hospital!

Quick Reply

Latest