The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

How much would an EPQ help with sussex uni

My course requires a AAB-ABB and I am predicted an AAB (which is a bit of a push in my opinion). Would an EPQ help me get in?
Original post by IDKwhatUsername9
My course requires a AAB-ABB and I am predicted an AAB (which is a bit of a push in my opinion). Would an EPQ help me get in?

Do the course requirements mention an EPQ?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Hi there,

Personally, I found that an A* in EPQ didn't help me get into university. It can help if your course specification includes an EPQ but that's only under certain circumstances.

An EPQ was good to mention in a personal statement and was helpful to know what I was doing once I arrived to university.

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by ageshallnot
Do the course requirements mention an EPQ?

They say then can take an EPQ into consideration, but they don't routinely take it into consideration
They say then can take an EPQ into consideration, but they don't routinely take it into consideration

That sounds like they might take it into consideration if you fall just short. However, would the extra effort of completing an EPQ be a distraction from getting your A-level grades? A dilemma...
Original post by ageshallnot
That sounds like they might take it into consideration if you fall just short. However, would the extra effort of completing an EPQ be a distraction from getting your A-level grades? A dilemma...

I honestly think my best bet is just to drop it. Not sure how my mum will feel about that considering she made me start it
I honestly think my best bet is just to drop it. Not sure how my mum will feel about that considering she made me start it

I think, If you want to demonstrate a specific interest or skill that you're not getting in the rest of your studies, then an EPQ is great to explore that. I've discussed my EPQ in my personal statement and in job interviews to demonstrate determination, independent working and being self-motivated. It was also handy to explore international relations (what I study) before being able to study it to decide if that's what I wanted to go into.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements

"Our standard offers are shown with each undergraduate course in terms of three A-level grades. We do however review each application on its individual strengths and merits and will take into account the full array of qualifications being presented (including additional AS-levels or the Extended Project Qualification)."

Looking at ACCYFIN as an example:

"Extended Project Qualification

We take the EPQ into account when considering your application and it can be useful in the summer when your results are released if you have narrowly missed the conditions of your offer. We do not routinely include the EPQ in the conditions of your offer but we sometimes offer alternative conditions that include the EPQ. If you wish to discuss this further please contact us."

So review the course pages and entry requirements for guidance basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending