The Student Room Group

Considering a law career path and what uni to go to

I am in year 12, studying Literature, sociology and psychology.
These are my GCSE grades,
English literature 9
English language 8
French 8
Religious studies 7
Citizenship 7
Drama 6
Combined science 6:5
Geography 5
Maths 5

I have an interest in Law, but I’m scared my grades will not allow me to pursue it as it is a very competitive field. Honestly, is it possible or should I get into another degree? And if so, could I please get some recommendations.

Also do I have a chance at getting into a Russell group? (not necessarily Oxbridge).
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Few Unis will care what you got in your GCSEs.
Focus on your A levels.

And if you have some spare time, listen to some of these BBC podcasts from Law in Action - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player - so that you have some thing interesting to discuss in your Personal Statement.
Original post by tee_1607
I am in year 12, studying Literature, sociology and psychology.
These are my GCSE grades,
English literature 9
English language 8
French 8
Religious studies 7
Citizenship 7
Drama 6
Combined science 6:5
Geography 5
Maths 5

I have an interest in Law, but I’m scared my grades will not allow me to pursue it as it is a very competitive field. Honestly, is it possible or should I get into another degree? And if so, could I please get some recommendations.

Also do I have a chance at getting into a Russell group? (not necessarily Oxbridge).

Hi there

It is nice to hear that you are starting to think about University options already.

I think your GCSE grades are not bad for entering a law degree, especially with the strong English grades. I think to boost your application, you should focus on obtaining good grades in your A levels.

One thing i would recommend is looking at University entry requirements to see what grades they are looking for, it will also give you an idea of what the course will teach. For your personal statement, try to demonstrate your interest in law through (in person or online) work experiences and extra readings.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is nice to hear that you are starting to think about University options already.

I think your GCSE grades are not bad for entering a law degree, especially with the strong English grades. I think to boost your application, you should focus on obtaining good grades in your A levels.

One thing i would recommend is looking at University entry requirements to see what grades they are looking for, it will also give you an idea of what the course will teach. For your personal statement, try to demonstrate your interest in law through (in person or online) work experiences and extra readings.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Thanks for the tips!
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Few Unis will care what you got in your GCSEs.
Focus on your A levels.

And if you have some spare time, listen to some of these BBC podcasts from Law in Action - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player - so that you have some thing interesting to discuss in your Personal Statement.

Thank you! Will do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending