The Student Room Group

Oxford rejection - take a year out and reapply?

Applied to Oxford (wadham) for history and French but got rejected. Is it worth taking a year out and reapplying to a different college?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Applied to Oxford (wadham) for history and French but got rejected. Is it worth taking a year out and reapplying to a different college?

it depends.
is Oxford your be-all and end-all? would you be happy anywhere else? do you really like Oxford AND your course or have you romanticised it? does Oxford do the course you chose better than other unis? have you received any other offers that you would be happy to accept?
there are many questions you need to ask yourself before you decide if you want to reapply. the most important thing to remember is that although Oxford is a truly phenomenal university, there are so many other fabulous unis that will do your course just as well, and possibly do the uni life better! also, going to Oxford doesn't guarantee success and definitely doesn't guarantee happiness. imagine if you applied again and were rejected again! or worse, imagine if you applied, got in, and realised you heavily disliked it!

personally, my advice to you is to take the rejection in your stride and try and move on from it the best you can.

i wish you all the best of luck x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Suggest at least asking for feedback and letting some time pass before making any decision. Had you already been thinking about a gap year? What would you do with it?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alspals2006
it depends.
is Oxford your be-all and end-all? would you be happy anywhere else? do you really like Oxford AND your course or have you romanticised it? does Oxford do the course you chose better than other unis? have you received any other offers that you would be happy to accept?
there are many questions you need to ask yourself before you decide if you want to reapply. the most important thing to remember is that although Oxford is a truly phenomenal university, there are so many other fabulous unis that will do your course just as well, and possibly do the uni life better! also, going to Oxford doesn't guarantee success and definitely doesn't guarantee happiness. imagine if you applied again and were rejected again! or worse, imagine if you applied, got in, and realised you heavily disliked it!

personally, my advice to you is to take the rejection in your stride and try and move on from it the best you can.

Thanks it’s not the be-all and there are definitely otherunis and courses which look great but just weighing itall up. Maybe feedback is what I need - it’s not clearwhat went wrong :-(
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
Suggest at least asking for feedback and letting some time pass before making any decision. Had you already been thinking about a gap year? What would you do with it?

Thanks I will ask for feedback. Almost don’t want to know but probably useful to see if there was anything I could have done differently
Original post by alspals2006
it depends.

You're spitting facts right there.

University is like a car. It's a vehicle to get you somewhere in life. Oxford... is probably a Ferrari in this analogy. Yes, it sucks that you didn't get the Ferrari but there are other vehicles out there - a Ferrari is cooler than a, I don't know, a Vauxhall car, but will both get you where you want to go? Absolutely! And Vauxhalls are still solid cars and nothing to be jeered at.

I think it's worth getting some feedback just for peace of mind, but don't let it get to you. You were brave in applying, brilliant in getting an interview, and if you put yourself to it, you'll have a brilliant future wherever it is you go to uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending