The Student Room Group

Should I travel far for sixth form?

Hi, I need help making a decision on whether I should go to a sixth form which is great, I enjoy it and I like my teachers but is 1hr away by bus or 30/40 mins away by car. Or should I go to a sixth form that is only about 20 mins away by car/ 49 mins by bus however I have to take an alevel I don’t like and some teachers are great but some aren’t. I’m not sure if it would be worth the travel for the next two years. Thank you!!
This was my situation when i did a levels. I regret choosing the one closer to home (25mins away) rather than the one 50mins away by car (but would have had to take bus in first year). I knew i would have preferred it in the further away school but because of covid at the time, there were limited buses going and wouldn’t arrive home until 6-7pm compared to 4pm with the other school. To be completely honest I do regret not choosing the further away one because i definitely would have preferred it there in terms of social life and the education they give. I did get into the university i wanted and now moving into second year, but the standard of teaching in the school closer to home was not great and i believe i would have had better grades in the other school, especially as those teachers actually showed up to teach🤷*♀️
Reply 2
Original post by Studentlife007
This was my situation when i did a levels. I regret choosing the one closer to home (25mins away) rather than the one 50mins away by car (but would have had to take bus in first year). I knew i would have preferred it in the further away school but because of covid at the time, there were limited buses going and wouldn’t arrive home until 6-7pm compared to 4pm with the other school. To be completely honest I do regret not choosing the further away one because i definitely would have preferred it there in terms of social life and the education they give. I did get into the university i wanted and now moving into second year, but the standard of teaching in the school closer to home was not great and i believe i would have had better grades in the other school, especially as those teachers actually showed up to teach🤷*♀️

Hi! Thank you so much for your response. I’ve found out I can also take a train and bus which would cut the distance from an hour on only bus to about 40 mins. I need to make the decision by the end of today so I really appreciate your response. Thank you!!!
Original post by ali.x12
Hi, I need help making a decision on whether I should go to a sixth form which is great, I enjoy it and I like my teachers but is 1hr away by bus or 30/40 mins away by car. Or should I go to a sixth form that is only about 20 mins away by car/ 49 mins by bus however I have to take an alevel I don’t like and some teachers are great but some aren’t. I’m not sure if it would be worth the travel for the next two years. Thank you!!

Taking an a level you don't like is probably disastrous. I suggest the further 6th form. Seems you like the further 6th form more so take that.

Original post by Studentlife007

For me, I should've picked a further sixth form to skip a year as they were flexible and actually had space for the higher year group, unlike some others I asked.

But yeah, one can always study on the commute if they're so inclined.
Reply 4
Original post by justlearning1469
Taking an a level you don't like is probably disastrous. I suggest the further 6th form. Seems you like the further 6th form more so take that.

Yeah I’m just a bit worried about winter as it will start getting dark really early. But thank you so much!
Original post by ali.x12
Hi! Thank you so much for your response. I’ve found out I can also take a train and bus which would cut the distance from an hour on only bus to about 40 mins. I need to make the decision by the end of today so I really appreciate your response. Thank you!!!

also forgot to mention, i wanted to take spanish as a 4th a level and only the further school had that. but they didn’t haven enough people interested in the subject so they told me i couldn’t do it. so my a level choices in the end would have been the same in the both school. So i definitely do recommend u go to the school u prefer and do the a-levels that u want to do because in the end you will not regret
Reply 6
Original post by ali.x12
Hi, I need help making a decision on whether I should go to a sixth form which is great, I enjoy it and I like my teachers but is 1hr away by bus or 30/40 mins away by car. Or should I go to a sixth form that is only about 20 mins away by car/ 49 mins by bus however I have to take an alevel I don’t like and some teachers are great but some aren’t. I’m not sure if it would be worth the travel for the next two years. Thank you!H

Hiya, i travel to school by bus for 1 hour every day, and its tough, especially on days where theres a whole heatwave, some days i can barely revise because of it. however if the other school doesnt offer the a levels you want to do then maybe the one far away might be better. one question tho, how often would you be able to take the car? And how regular are the busses that you are taking?
Reply 7
Original post by mmmm.
Hiya, i travel to school by bus for 1 hour every day, and its tough, especially on days where theres a whole heatwave, some days i can barely revise because of it. however if the other school doesnt offer the a levels you want to do then maybe the one far away might be better. one question tho, how often would you be able to take the car? And how regular are the busses that you are taking?

I think I’d have to start taking the bus regularly now as my grandad and dad have been taking me the last week, however I feel like it’s a big burden on them especially my grandad as he’s getting older. But maybe the odd few days my mum could take me.
Reply 8
Original post by ali.x12
I think I’d have to start taking the bus regularly now as my grandad and dad have been taking me the last week, however I feel like it’s a big burden on them especially my grandad as he’s getting older. But maybe the odd few days my mum could take me.

Thats good but I say don't rely too much on your parents to drive you.Have you tried taking the bus yet? and see if they come regularly. because if they don't the 1-hour bus trip could become 2 hours
Reply 9
Original post by mmmm.
Thats good but I say don't rely too much on your parents to drive you.Have you tried taking the bus yet? and see if they come regularly. because if they don't the 1-hour bus trip could become 2 hours

No I haven’t tried yet :frown: how do I check if they come regularly? And I’m gonna take it on Monday so hopefully all is well.
Reply 10
Original post by ali.x12
No I haven’t tried yet :frown: how do I check if they come regularly? And I’m gonna take it on Monday so hopefully all is well.

On google maps you can check around what time the buses come by putting in the destination your going and around what time you'd be going, make sure to check the busses both in the morning an evening because there are some buses that are regular in the morning but horrible in the evening.
Reply 11
Original post by mmmm.
On google maps you can check around what time the buses come by putting in the destination your going and around what time you'd be going, make sure to check the busses both in the morning an evening because there are some buses that are regular in the morning but horrible in the evening.

Yeah I just checked and there are regular buses all week. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending