The Student Room Group

Universities that don't allow a-level resits

Hi,
Im currently resitting one of my A-levels and I'm beginning to redo my UCAs application. I know that some universities don't accept students that have/are resitting a-levels. Does anyone know which Universities don't allow resits? I know that University of Leeds don't allow them but for many other Russell group Universities I've found it really difficult to find out their policies.
Don't know if this is useful information but, I am only resitting one A-level as opposed to all three. Also, my initial grade in the subject wasn't bad (it was a C) however I would like to try and achieve a better grade - will my old grade affect the application as I didn't fail but I know I can do better.
TIA
As said on your other thread - it’s rare to unknown for a university to refuse to consider resits.

Which subject are you applying for?
Where did you see the Leeds won’t accept resits?
Reply 2
Original post by oguy974
Hi,
Im currently resitting one of my A-levels and I'm beginning to redo my UCAs application. I know that some universities don't accept students that have/are resitting a-levels. Does anyone know which Universities don't allow resits? I know that University of Leeds don't allow them but for many other Russell group Universities I've found it really difficult to find out their policies.
Don't know if this is useful information but, I am only resitting one A-level as opposed to all three. Also, my initial grade in the subject wasn't bad (it was a C) however I would like to try and achieve a better grade - will my old grade affect the application as I didn't fail but I know I can do better.
TIA

You seem to be picking up some very strange information. Are you applying for medicine or perhaps reading threads directed at applicants for medical degrees?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
As said on your other thread - it’s rare to unknown for a university to refuse to consider resits.

Which subject are you applying for?
Where did you see the Leeds won’t accept resits?

i’ve been googling *uni name* + entry requirements and going on their page for that and usually they have a section called “resits” where it explains their policy. Most unis that I have looked at say they allow them but not for medicine and Law which is fine as i’m applying for English Literature. Leeds said (pasted from their website) We normally expect applicants to have completed three A-levels (or equivalent) in one sitting. If you have not, then we will need your school or college to tell us why in the academic reference section of your UCAS form.” I took this to mean they likely won’t allow me because i’m not resitting based on extraordinary circumstances but just because I want to do better and go to a top Uni
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
You seem to be picking up some very strange information. Are you applying for medicine or perhaps reading threads directed at applicants for medical degrees?

I’ve made sure to filter out anything regarding Law and Medicine as they usually have different policies and I’m doing English Literature. It’s just that each uni I have looked at have varying policies for people resitting an A-level and leeds said “We normally expect applicants to have completed three A-levels (or equivalent) in one sitting. If you have not, then we will need your school or college to tell us why in the academic reference section of your UCAS form.” I took this to mean that they would want me to have some sort of extraordinary circumstance for me resitting my English Lit A-Level however I am only resitting because I know I can do better and that my result was an anomaly compared to how I was working beforehand
Original post by oguy974
I’ve made sure to filter out anything regarding Law and Medicine as they usually have different policies and I’m doing English Literature. It’s just that each uni I have looked at have varying policies for people resitting an A-level and leeds said “We normally expect applicants to have completed three A-levels (or equivalent) in one sitting. If you have not, then we will need your school or college to tell us why in the academic reference section of your UCAS form.” I took this to mean that they would want me to have some sort of extraordinary circumstance for me resitting my English Lit A-Level however I am only resitting because I know I can do better and that my result was an anomaly compared to how I was working beforehand

I think this may just be the way they've worded it, (and I am assuming you have taken it from this page).

They've not said anything about resits, but you could interpret it as you must have initially taken 3 subjects in one sitting.

It would be worth clarifying with their admissions team regarding resits.
Yep - "Age and stage policy" is talking about students taking 1 A level early and then only 2 during sixth form....it's not about resits

The only formal policy on resits is here: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/undergraduate-applying/doc/taught-admissions-policy-2024-25/page/3
Resits (undergraduate only)

The eligibility of students who are undertaking a further attempt at an entry qualification is an academic decision taken by the relevant school. Applicants in this situation should check the relevant school admissions policy or admissions guidance.

And there's no school specific admissions policy for English only med/dent/healthcare: https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/info/22149/a-z-of-policies-and-key-documents/677/undergraduate-admissions-policies

You might want to give them a quick phone call to double check but they're unlikely to be picky over resits! https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/english-undergraduate
Reply 7
Where should i apply to with achieved a*a*a and 5 decile ucat? thanks
Original post by SHUBHUEH
Where should i apply to with achieved a*a*a and 5 decile ucat? thanks

Please post in this thread after reading the first post there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending