The Student Room Group

Can I retake one of my a level subjects but not have to do the other 2 subjects

I failed the coursework for ICT and now have failed the subject, but I think i’ve passed economics and psychology. So can I retake ICT
And have my economics and psychology stay how it is, so basically only retake that one subject. Or do I have to do all 3? And also can I retake it in November?
Reply 1
You would only need to re-take the subject which you have failed. However, you may need to take on 2 other subjects ( from scratch,if you go to sixth-form) since some sixth-forms don't allow for part-time students doing 1 A Level. I don't know what the policy is for colleges so I can't say anything about them.
Original post by Serbian_2000
I failed the coursework for ICT and now have failed the subject, but I think i’ve passed economics and psychology. So can I retake ICT
And have my economics and psychology stay how it is, so basically only retake that one subject. Or do I have to do all 3? And also can I retake it in November?
Yes, you can just retake one A level.

f you sat a new linear A level, you can only retake the exam in the summer (January exams disappeared years ago, and November exams are just for GCSEs), but you can retake just the modules you need to rather than having to redo the whole exam. Ask at your school.
Original post by Serbian_2000

Yes it is fine just to resit one, but only available in the UK to resit once a year. If you failed both parts then find out why and consider another subject you can pass.
Original post by Chrisx1
You would only need to re-take the subject which you have failed. However, you may need to take on 2 other subjects ( from scratch,if you go to sixth-form) since some sixth-forms don't allow for part-time students doing 1 A Level. I don't know what the policy is for colleges so I can't say anything about them.

You would resit as a private candidate and pay for it yourself. Its unlikely a new sixth form would take him.
Reply 5
My sixth-form allowed people who had failed one of their A-Levels the 1st time to re-sit it free of charge, provided you took on another A Level. So it's possible; although it varies from place to place.
Original post by 999tigger
You would resit as a private candidate and pay for it yourself. Its unlikely a new sixth form would take him.
Original post by Chrisx1
My sixth-form allowed people who had failed one of their A-Levels the 1st time to re-sit it free of charge, provided you took on another A Level. So it's possible; although it varies from place to place.

Easy way to resolve it he should ask.
Reply 7
(Original post by Chrisx1)My sixth-form allowed people who had failed one of their A-Levels the 1st time to re-sit it free of charge, provided you took on another A Level. So it's possible; although it varies from place to place.

which school did you go to? i was looking for schools which offer this
Reply 8
Please can I re-write ICT only while in the university

Quick Reply

Latest