The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

How do I choose the right uni & course?

For a lot of year 13s, October is the panic month where you have to make big decisions about your future. If you're anything like me, you've just realised that you need to stop burying your head in the sand, and actually think about what you'd like to do at uni.

If you're not sure what you'd like to do, or what course/uni is right for you, try asking yourself these questions:

What do I enjoy?
If you're not sure what you'd like to do, think about what you're currently studying. Is there a course or a particular topic you're interested in? For example, if you're studying history, and you enjoy learning about historical discoveries, you might enjoy a course in archaeology. Or if you're studying science, and you love learning about sustainability, you might enjoy a course in conservation biology.

What assessment style works for me?
Once you've decided on a subject, it's likely that you'll need to start choosing which university's course is right for you. An easy way to start this process is looking at each uni's assessment style. Some universities will be exam-based, others will use coursework to assess you, and others will use a mix of both. Think about your current studies- which type of assessment do you prefer?

How would I like to live?
This is possibly the most important part of making your decision. When you've got a list of unis you'd like to apply to, think about how you'd like to live. Do you want to stay close to home, or even commute from home? Would you prefer to go further away? What can each town/city offer you- remember you'll be there for at least three years! Personally, I chose Liverpool because it had the best social scene, with plenty of cultural events throughout the year, but you might prefer a more rural university with a strong community.

These are my top tips for making your decision- what tips does everyone else have for making this decision? Comment below!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending