The Student Room Group

Work experience

Do you think it's necessary to have done a work experience during summer before uni applications if you want to apply for Materials Science? I've emailed a company but they have not replied and summer is coming to an end. I'm afraid my personal statement won't look presentable if I have done nothing except reading around the subject . What do you think?
Original post by Rough_circle
Do you think it's necessary to have done a work experience during summer before uni applications if you want to apply for Materials Science? I've emailed a company but they have not replied and summer is coming to an end. I'm afraid my personal statement won't look presentable if I have done nothing except reading around the subject . What do you think?

I think you will be OK.

Which unis are you looking at? This is also something you can ask about at uni open days ie do admissions value this.

Your personal statement is all about how you want to engage in the subject and why you are choosing it.
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra
I think you will be OK.

Which unis are you looking at? This is also something you can ask about at uni open days ie do admissions value this.

Your personal statement is all about how you want to engage in the subject and why you are choosing it.

Thank you so much for replying! I'm thinking about Materials at Uni of Manchester or Imperial College.
Thank you so much for replying! I'm thinking about Materials at Uni of Manchester or Imperial College.

Great - are you booked in to open days?

Imperial offer a 4 year Meng - are you considering this?

Hi there

Cardiff uni student here!

I don't personally study Materials science but work experience is always beneficial if you can find it. However, generally, universities understand that this is not realistic for everyone to find so shouldn't impact your application too much. What is appreciated is things such as (free) online courses, extra reading into your subject and anything that shows particular interest/ passion that you can write about in your personal statement. I'd still recommend emailing round a few more companies or asking your sixth form./ college for support as work experience in a field that you're interested in can give you a great direction of interest with your studies.

All the best :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

Cardiff uni student here!

I don't personally study Materials science but work experience is always beneficial if you can find it. However, generally, universities understand that this is not realistic for everyone to find so shouldn't impact your application too much. What is appreciated is things such as (free) online courses, extra reading into your subject and anything that shows particular interest/ passion that you can write about in your personal statement. I'd still recommend emailing round a few more companies or asking your sixth form./ college for support as work experience in a field that you're interested in can give you a great direction of interest with your studies.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Thank you for replying! I've asked around and it all came down to having the right connections but I'll still try regardless. Are there such opportunities provided at Cardiff University?
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
Great - are you booked in to open days?

Imperial offer a 4 year Meng - are you considering this?

No, I'm not booked to open days, but yes I am considering the 4-year Meng. I was also wondering how they consider who to choose for an interview, as in, if my grades meet all the requirements do I immediately get an interview?
No, I'm not booked to open days, but yes I am considering the 4-year Meng. I was also wondering how they consider who to choose for an interview, as in, if my grades meet all the requirements do I immediately get an interview?

Definitely recommend Open Days - Manchester is a very different campus experience to Imperial.

They'll select applicants based on grades and personal statement. It is not guaranteed you will get an interview just because you meet the tariff requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by She-Ra
Definitely recommend Open Days - Manchester is a very different campus experience to Imperial.

They'll select applicants based on grades and personal statement. It is not guaranteed you will get an interview just because you meet the tariff requirements.

I see. I'll have a look into it. Thank you for the reply again!

Hi there,

For most unis, work experience is usually not a requirement. As long as you meet the course entry requirements, and demonstrate keen interest in the subject in your personal statement, you will be fine. No need to worry at all.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
I see. I'll have a look into it. Thank you for the reply again!

You're welcome :smile:

Good luck with your application .
Thank you for replying! I've asked around and it all came down to having the right connections but I'll still try regardless. Are there such opportunities provided at Cardiff University?

It is definitely much easier if you have the right connections. I've had a look on the Cardiff uni website - they have a BSc Environmental Sustainability Science course which I can see links to Materials Science - for more information on courses and work experience options available, you can contact undergraduate courses enquiries here.

Jaz- Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending