The Student Room Group

Do I need an introduction and what do I start with?

Can I skip an introduction and go straight into how my work experience has made me think about psychology for example.
Original post by s_um4
Can I skip an introduction and go straight into how my work experience has made me think about psychology for example.

I would write an introduction saying why you are applying to that course and maybe what first made you want to apply for said course
Original post by s_um4

How to write an excellent personal statement in 10 steps - The Uni Guide
Original post by s_um4

Hi, you can definitely go straight into your work experience that interested you in psychology and talk about yourself, you're interests, studies and other extra-curricular in another section of your personal statement. It's important to make your personal statement stand out with a powerful opening and ending.

Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic & IR
Original post by s_um4

Hiya 🙂

Just to let you know, traditional personal statements often include introductions. It is your chance to set the stage for the entire document, make a strong first impression, and capture the reader's attention.

If you decide to write the introduction, you want to provide context for the rest of the personal statement. It is a part where you help the reader understand (in general) the background, motivations, or circumstances that have led you to pursue a Psychology degree. Remember to begin with a compelling hook. In my personal statement, I used a quote by Walt Disney: "If you can dream it, you can do it".

However, there is no strict rule against skipping the introduction if you have a more direct and focused idea for your personal statement. As long as you ensure that your narrative flows smoothly and communicates clearly your work experience, passions, and their impact on your interest in psychology, your personal statement can remain engaging and provide compelling reasons for being an excellent candidate.

I hope it was helpful 😉 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending