The Student Room Group

what can I do with an ordinary degree

I know there is a top up option which I will do in the future, I have spoken to a lot of universities that offer a top up LLB Law part time but I am not sure what to do with a LLB Law without hons. I would like to work in a law firm but not sure what kind of job since im getting a degree without hons....
Reply 1
Hey!

Even without an honours degree you could be working in a law firm. You could compensate with getting legal experience and by gaining an understanding of what it is required of trainees at the law firm that you want to apply to. A path you could explore is to be a legal assistant or paralegal in one of their teams to see what the culture is like but also what the day-to-day tasks of trainees and associates involve. This could build your understanding of the firm and their work, which could explain your motivation for pursuing a career with them. If you are looking for tips on what firms to apply to and how to write applications, I could recommend Commercial Law Academy's "law firm profiles" and "writing successful applications".
Original post by redstarfish23
I know there is a top up option which I will do in the future, I have spoken to a lot of universities that offer a top up LLB Law part time but I am not sure what to do with a LLB Law without hons. I would like to work in a law firm but not sure what kind of job since im getting a degree without hons....
Hi there

A Law LLB qualification would allow you to work in a law firm. It is a path which many students decided to take when pursuing a career as a lawyer. :smile: Are you looking to become a solicitor then?

Studying a Law LLB, will give you basic knowledge of legal system in the UK, this will help you understand different areas of law, and decide what sector you may be interested in entering in the future. It will also help you with understanding and navigating legal documents. If you are interested in becoming a solicitor, I would recommend doing some research into the different paths to becoming a lawyer, the SQE may be a good starting point for some research. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending