The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

university accommodation help URGENT

Hi, so im studying dentistry at leeds university this september. I applied for Leodis accomodation (im a med student) but was given oxley residences. I called them up and they basically said thats the only offer take it or leave it. Im from London so i havent travelled in leeds before ect so I wanted my accomodation to be close to the uni.

I dont want to accept oxely as its too far 59 mins by walk and i dont drive. so im considering other accomodations such as Asquith house. The reviews are terrible but recently theres been a change in management? I dont know what to do and I dont want to move too far out from campus. I need to be close to worsely building but city side and central village are too expensive for me im looking for around 110 pw. Can someone help me with how to go about this?
Are Asqiuth houses nice and sociable, any other fellow medics who may live there?? really need to make a decision and move in any help is appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so im studying dentistry at leeds university this september. I applied for Leodis accomodation (im a med student) but was given oxley residences. I called them up and they basically said thats the only offer take it or leave it. Im from London so i havent travelled in leeds before ect so I wanted my accomodation to be close to the uni.

I dont want to accept oxely as its too far 59 mins by walk and i dont drive. so im considering other accomodations such as Asquith house. The reviews are terrible but recently theres been a change in management? I dont know what to do and I dont want to move too far out from campus. I need to be close to worsely building but city side and central village are too expensive for me im looking for around 110 pw. Can someone help me with how to go about this?
Are Asqiuth houses nice and sociable, any other fellow medics who may live there?? really need to make a decision and move in any help is appreciated

sorry was meant to say * med student not dent
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

take a bus?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
take a bus?

Its about 20 minutes on bus and I simply hate catching them. They hardly are on time and I really dont want to have to travel extra for lectures ect . If taking a bus was an option for me I wouldnt have made this thread
Its about 20 minutes on bus and I simply hate catching them. They hardly are on time and I really dont want to have to travel extra for lectures ect . If taking a bus was an option for me I wouldnt have made this thread

How do you know they don't run on time if you've never lived in Leeds!
Reply 5
How do you know they don't run on time if you've never lived in Leeds!

I have visited for my interview and caught the buses. So from personal experience it didn't go so well. plus i simply don't want to catch the bus to my lectures each day which is just long id rather walk than be rushed because of bus timings. does that explain it!
I have visited for my interview and caught the buses. So from personal experience it didn't go so well. plus i simply don't want to catch the bus to my lectures each day which is just long id rather walk than be rushed because of bus timings. does that explain it!

Perhaps you should have chosen a campus uni then?
Reply 7
Perhaps you should have chosen a campus uni then?

maybe if med wasn't as competitive i would have had my pick of the cherry. you can still live in a city based uni and not live far away you know
You sound a bit childish, tbh. You can't get everything you want in life, sometimes you have to compromise. I mean, good luck with getting the accommodation you want, but catching the bus is a perfectly viable option and really not as big a deal as you make it out to be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
You sound a bit childish, tbh. You can't get everything you want in life, sometimes you have to compromise. I mean, good luck with getting the accommodation you want, but catching the bus is a perfectly viable option and really not as big a deal as you make it out to be.

so i sound childish because i dont want to spend extra and travel longer just to get to my lectures okay? I am paying for the accommodation so technically it should be what i want. I asked for opinions about the accommodation not about catching the bus
Plenty of people live in Oxley and get to uni on time.
Many of my friends in chemistry lived there and still got to uni on the bus, in time for 9 am lectures and labs.
You really don't get 110 pw and be close to uni (in halls, houses in hyde park are cheap)

I was going to give you a review on Asquith house, but I won't after your rude replies to others.
Hello!

I know from personal experience what it's like to be allocated a residence that isn't your first choice (albeit at a different university), and it is not the most fun experience, so I do sympathise.

However, you need to remember that at the University of Leeds, nearly every single residence is oversubscribed (hence why everyone gets only one choice), so there is going to be overflow into other residences. You basically have two choices here, and they are two very simple choices;
1. Accept the offer and study at Oxley. Yes, it's far, but there are busses and it is an incredibly affordable residence with amazing facilities and is in a gorgeous location. Swings and roundabouts.
2. Reject your offer and search in the private sector. If you choose to do this, Unipol (an independent charity who works closely with the Uni helping students with housing) will be a good place to start asking questions/searching.

I can tell you that calling up the accommodation department will genuinely do absolutely nothing for you, they've made you the offer and you just need to accept that's what you got. It sucks but that's that. I cannot assist you on your question on Asquith because I have never been.
Original post by iElvendork
Plenty of people live in Oxley and get to uni on time.
Many of my friends in chemistry lived there and still got to uni on the bus, in time for 9 am lectures and labs.
You really don't get 110 pw and be close to uni (in halls, houses in hyde park are cheap)

I was going to give you a review on Asquith house, but I won't after your rude replies to others.

okay why would you comment if you dont want to tell me then lol
T

Original post by Stoxwal
Hello!

I know from personal experience what it's like to be allocated a residence that isn't your first choice (albeit at a different university), and it is not the most fun experience, so I do sympathise.

However, you need to remember that at the University of Leeds, nearly every single residence is oversubscribed (hence why everyone gets only one choice), so there is going to be overflow into other residences. You basically have two choices here, and they are two very simple choices;
1. Accept the offer and study at Oxley. Yes, it's far, but there are busses and it is an incredibly affordable residence with amazing facilities and is in a gorgeous location. Swings and roundabouts.
2. Reject your offer and search in the private sector. If you choose to do this, Unipol (an independent charity who works closely with the Uni helping students with housing) will be a good place to start asking questions/searching.

I can tell you that calling up the accommodation department will genuinely do absolutely nothing for you, they've made you the offer and you just need to accept that's what you got. It sucks but that's that. I cannot assist you on your question on Asquith because I have never been.

Thank you for the reply i will keep that in mind and see what i should do from now onwards
hi there x i'm thinking of going for asquith house so if u could let me know how you found it, it would be greatly appreciated!x
Original post by elisemiller
hi there x i'm thinking of going for asquith house so if u could let me know how you found it, it would be greatly appreciated!x

ive viewed it. its deaddd
Original post by elisemiller

Hi there, did you end up booking Asquith house?
Reply 17

Did you finally settle for oxley? I want to live there

Quick Reply

Latest