The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

ucl chemistry

Hi guys
For anyone who does Chemistry at UCL, I am looking to study for a BSc there next year but I have a couple of question

1) Genuinely, what is life like at UCL? Is a chem degree a big step from A-level and is it still interesting?
2) Are the lessons good and are the lecturers good at explaining? Do they actually reply to emails and do they help you out outside of lecturers when you need help?
3) As a student there, why is the student satisfaction rate so low (55%)?
4) Would you recommend it?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I just wanna be sure about my uni choices
Thanks !
hi i know this thread is quite old but i thought i d reply just in case theres students now wanting to apply
1) id say that the chem degree itself is quit a big step from alevel chem, even tho the entry requirements say otherwise you're kind of expected to know alevel maths and physics to a high degree esp since most of your peers will know it already. its definitely one of the most rigorous degrees at ucl with high contact hours and material to study, i.e. i noticed it was mainly always chem students on campus in study spaces.
2) unfortunately it really depends, some lecturers are okay but since most of them have to be focusing on their research at the same time as teaching ~200 students, its very rushed. Also chem ahas a system where if yiu have any questions or need help you have to post it to a forum that everyone in your year can see. i personally hate this since not everyone wants to share that theyre struggling and you can wait ages for a decent answer but the teachers say its good for peer support...
3) again not a lot of support when you're being drowned in a lot of work all the time and having to chase it by having to find your own resources. dont get me wrong i know uni is about independent learning but paying £9k+ to be teaching everything to yourself is ridiculous.
4) it really depends on how much you're willing to dedicate yourself to chemistry, if you're only focussed on getting a degree for the name of ucl then go for it, but if you want better teaching id day look elsewhere
hope this helps :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi i know this thread is quite old but i thought i d reply just in case theres students now wanting to apply
1) id say that the chem degree itself is quit a big step from alevel chem, even tho the entry requirements say otherwise you're kind of expected to know alevel maths and physics to a high degree esp since most of your peers will know it already. its definitely one of the most rigorous degrees at ucl with high contact hours and material to study, i.e. i noticed it was mainly always chem students on campus in study spaces.
2) unfortunately it really depends, some lecturers are okay but since most of them have to be focusing on their research at the same time as teaching ~200 students, its very rushed. Also chem ahas a system where if yiu have any questions or need help you have to post it to a forum that everyone in your year can see. i personally hate this since not everyone wants to share that theyre struggling and you can wait ages for a decent answer but the teachers say its good for peer support...
3) again not a lot of support when you're being drowned in a lot of work all the time and having to chase it by having to find your own resources. dont get me wrong i know uni is about independent learning but paying £9k+ to be teaching everything to yourself is ridiculous.
4) it really depends on how much you're willing to dedicate yourself to chemistry, if you're only focussed on getting a degree for the name of ucl then go for it, but if you want better teaching id day look elsewhere
hope this helps :smile:

thank you for this! I have an offer to study chemistry at UCL next year and this was really helpful :smile:
I have a few questions if you don’t mind me asking.

How do you find studying and living in London? If you commute then how do you feel about that?

What sort of careers do most people go into with a chemistry degree? If i’m interested in studying finance would it be a good idea to go somewhere like UCL?

Is the course well structured and what is the quality of teaching like?
Reply 3
Original post by cydrse
hii im glad my post helped and of course!
1)studying and living in london can become very draining quickly since you’re going to surrounded by the busy fast pace of the city, so for me it was easy to feel overstimulated, i really recommend finding some green space to go to or maybe take the train to a small town nearby when it gets too much. my commute is around 30 min but it can be annoying when there are long breaks between classes and although there are a decent number of commuters we all do agree it can feel quite isolating sometimes esp at the start
2)most ppl from ucl, esp chemistry go into finance right after graduation! the stats of graduate salaries in the course is acc due to this reason since most of us dont want to continue studying just to end up in a research role w low pay.
3) the course is relatively well structured, as in there shouldn’t be any clashes unless you pick an optional module that isn’t recommended. teaching wise very much depends on the lecturer imo, the professors are all very well qualified however that leads to them assuming 18-19 year olds are at the same level so go way too fast and rushed, so i really recommend attending office hours if you need

Hi, is chemistry mainly on the old campus or the new campus?
I'm thinking of commuting from home daily, but it's a 45 minute train to Euston. Not sure if it's feasible. I live outside of London. Are lectures online and do I have to commute everyday?
Original post by Sakai04
Hi, is chemistry mainly on the old campus or the new campus?
I'm thinking of commuting from home daily, but it's a 45 minute train to Euston. Not sure if it's feasible. I live outside of London. Are lectures online and do I have to commute everyday?

all of it is on the old campus so euston area although your lectures can be spreadin different areas, none of the lectures are online and the timetable is packed so you would commute everyday but the lectures are recorded, practical labs are mandatory attendance
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
all of it is on the old campus so euston area although your lectures can be spreadin different areas, none of the lectures are online and the timetable is packed so you would commute everyday but the lectures are recorded, practical labs are mandatory attendance

Oh I see, thank you so much, hoping imperial isn't like this 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending