The Student Room Group

Can i change my mind after accepting masters degree offer?

I am thinking of applying to do a masters degree starting next September but if I find work in my field before the course starts i plan to retract my application. Will this affect me in any way? If i apply now and accept an offer to start in September and then in August I am offered a job can I tell the uni I'm not starting the course anymore and not owe them any money? Or will i still have to pay them? Shall I leave it until a few months before to apply in case this happens?
Original post by danielaj777
I am thinking of applying to do a masters degree starting next September but if I find work in my field before the course starts i plan to retract my application. Will this affect me in any way? If i apply now and accept an offer to start in September and then in August I am offered a job can I tell the uni I'm not starting the course anymore and not owe them any money? Or will i still have to pay them? Shall I leave it until a few months before to apply in case this happens?

there will be a point in time where you become obligated to pay, I think if you formally withdrew before September you would be fine, although I don’t know exactly at what point a university would hold someone accountable. I suspect it might be pretty late perhaps even close to freshers week but IDK (@Admit-One do you have any idea how late people can withdraw admission?).

What you may well lose is your deposit- a small fee, I think generally a couple hundred pounds, not insignificant but also not significant enough to steer a major decision like this.

You could call the university up & ask, I think if you were honest and said im in two minds job or master’s as such I want to apply to both, what happens to my university status if i flip to a job in the summer. I suspect admissions would respect this as long as your not applying to a heavily over subscribed course and if you do it before submitting the application I don’t think there would be a formal record of this tied tonyou.
(edited 4 months ago)
For Masters you should not be liable for any fees up until the point at which you enrol. That’s often a month or two ahead of the start date. Until then you are just an offer holder and can withdraw at any point.

As above, if you put down a deposit you’ll probably lose that.
Original post by Admit-One
For Masters you should not be liable for any fees up until the point at which you enrol. That’s often a month or two ahead of the start date. Until then you are just an offer holder and can withdraw at any point.

As above, if you put down a deposit you’ll probably lose that.

Prsom
Original post by danielaj777

Hi,
Usually when you are given your acceptance offer for your masters course, you will be given a timeframe to accept the offer by as well as a small T&Cs about what happens if you need to withdraw.
Just bare in mind that if you need to apply for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the cost, this may become more complicated as well.
If in doubt, it's always best to contact the admissions team of the university you've applied to.
Best wishes,
Meg 🙂
MA Popular Music Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending