The Student Room Group

going to fail my assignment

this is a group assignment and my group for this particular one hasn't been good at all, one person has done nothing at all and hasn't attended any of our meetings. me and another member wrote the script and the ideas the other two members were giving wasn't serious at all. this is 50% of our module grade so its inevitable we are going to fail as the university closes from Monday 18th of Dec till Jan 8th (the deadline) so we won't have a way of recording :frown: that means we have to redo it when everyone else moves on...its my own fault cause no one was doing anything I should've done their job cause now we are all dead
don't have any money to rent a sound studio cause its so expensive...dont know what to do. cant apply for an extension as there's no valid reason as to why we weren't able to get it done.
Usually group work assignments have some facility to note who did what and highlight if there were issues of non-engagement from others in the group. Also you can and should just flag it to the module leader/tutor at the earliest opportunity anyway. It sounds like you've left it a little late which while understandable from the perspective of conflict avoidance probably makes things a bit trickier to resolve as there will be fewer ways to do so.

In any event I'd suggest you and the other person doing all the work email the module leader and highlight the issues and otherwise carry on doing the best you can so at least you can stand by your own work within the overall group project.
Original post by Etoile2004
this is a group assignment and my group for this particular one hasn't been good at all, one person has done nothing at all and hasn't attended any of our meetings. me and another member wrote the script and the ideas the other two members were giving wasn't serious at all. this is 50% of our module grade so its inevitable we are going to fail as the university closes from Monday 18th of Dec till Jan 8th (the deadline) so we won't have a way of recording :frown: that means we have to redo it when everyone else moves on...its my own fault cause no one was doing anything I should've done their job cause now we are all dead
don't have any money to rent a sound studio cause its so expensive...dont know what to do. cant apply for an extension as there's no valid reason as to why we weren't able to get it done.

Hey!

I’m sorry your group work has gone that way, definitely been there before and know how stressful/frustrating it is! I would say to contact the module leader ASAP as suggested above, and they may be able to give you some guidance on what to do! Annoyingly you may have to continue with just the 2 of you and maybe try to get it done before the uni closes if possible? And then highlight that others didn’t contribute. Or maybe the module leader could advise?

Don’t put the blame on yourself, I understand it’s stressful but I’m sure they will be understanding! Definitely alert the lecturer earlier in future as it can help avoid a lot of these issues!

Hope you manage to get it sorted and best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Etoile2004

Hi @Etoile2004 ,

I hope you managed to get some of this sorted out. It can be really hard when people in your group aren't pulling their weight.

I would suggest that you email your tutor and explain the situation. Or, if you have an academic advisor then tell them. They will probably be checking emails again at the start of January so you should have a few days to talk to them about it and see what can be done.

As others have said, defiantly make it clear on your peer assessment form that they have not done any work as this will also explain why your project may not have been as good as it could have been. I'm not sure what your course/ project is but if there is any way you can record it at home, this is better than nothing and if you explain to your tutor they will be able to see that you've tried.

Try and get as much done as you can and hopefully you will pass and then you do not have to redo it. If you feel the other 50% of the module went well, you may not fail so still try your best in this assignment.

I hope this helps and good luck with the assignment,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending