The Student Room Group

Taking time out for health reasons

My daughter has just started her second year of university,she has a health condition,but has recently been I'll with Covid,it's really set her back and she's been unable to going or catch up.Shes feeling overwhelmed and feels she wants time out or a break. Just wondering if she misses the rest of this term she won't be able to do January exams. She does have a special LEP I think it's called,but I'm worried she's going to have to write this year off
Original post by Caroash
My daughter has just started her second year of university,she has a health condition,but has recently been I'll with Covid,it's really set her back and she's been unable to going or catch up.Shes feeling overwhelmed and feels she wants time out or a break. Just wondering if she misses the rest of this term she won't be able to do January exams. She does have a special LEP I think it's called,but I'm worried she's going to have to write this year off

Hi @Caroash

I'm really sorry to hear your daughter hasn't been well; I hope she feels better soon.

Regarding her course, I would try and get in touch with the course leader or main tutor contact to discuss how and if it's possible for your daughter to catch up.
At BCU we have a student support team who can offer some advice to students in this sort of situation - maybe there is a contact like this at your daughter's university?

I think it would be worth finding out from the university whether it is possible to catch up for the January exams, as that too could cause more stress if it means lots more work leading up to the exams.

Your daughter's health and wellbeing is the top priority, so maybe having a discussion about what is best for her right now would also help you out. And finding out about the work she has missed and how she could possibly move forward with the course could help put both your minds at ease.

I hope she feels better soon.
Best wishes,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Caroash

I'm really sorry to hear your daughter hasn't been well; I hope she feels better soon.

Regarding her course, I would try and get in touch with the course leader or main tutor contact to discuss how and if it's possible for your daughter to catch up.
At BCU we have a student support team who can offer some advice to students in this sort of situation - maybe there is a contact like this at your daughter's university?

I think it would be worth finding out from the university whether it is possible to catch up for the January exams, as that too could cause more stress if it means lots more work leading up to the exams.

Your daughter's health and wellbeing is the top priority, so maybe having a discussion about what is best for her right now would also help you out. And finding out about the work she has missed and how she could possibly move forward with the course could help put both your minds at ease.

I hope she feels better soon.
Best wishes,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Hi Emily
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.Yes she does need to talk to someone,she did think about leave of absence,but it's quite final . I think if she could have a few weeks,there's so much work that piles up isn't there and becomes overwhelming.and yes you're right her health is a priority . I think she needs to recover a bit and then have a conversation.
Thanks again x
Reply 3
I really sad to heard about your daughter you don't to to be worry too much about just keep consulting the doctor and follow the advice ..

Quick Reply

Latest