The Student Room Group

Job Options

I really don’t know what i want to be when i’m older i’m studying English Sociology and media alevels and i have a passion for film/media but everyone hates on the industry and claims it’s a waste of time so now i’m unsure of what to do. I was considering becoming an entertainment journalist for a while however i feel like the salary is quite low and not rewarding enough and not worth the uni debt but i really feel like i’m running out of options because jobs in the film industry just seem so unrealistic and i’m not sure of what jobs in media i could do and fully enjoy with a good salary does anyone have any advice ?
Original post by ellafaulkner07
I really don’t know what i want to be when i’m older i’m studying English Sociology and media alevels and i have a passion for film/media but everyone hates on the industry and claims it’s a waste of time so now i’m unsure of what to do. I was considering becoming an entertainment journalist for a while however i feel like the salary is quite low and not rewarding enough and not worth the uni debt but i really feel like i’m running out of options because jobs in the film industry just seem so unrealistic and i’m not sure of what jobs in media i could do and fully enjoy with a good salary does anyone have any advice ?

Hi @ellafaulkner07

I understand what you're saying - creative industry jobs can sometimes feel unrealistic or unachievable. I study fashion design at uni, which I think often gets overlooked as a viable career option. I know I certainly doubted it myself.

I would always tell someone to choose a uni course they feel they will enjoy. You're studying the same subject for a while so you want to be interested and motivated by your subject.

The film/media industry is so broad that there is a multitude of jobs out there. And it's very unlikely that the media industry is going anywhere anytime soon, so there will be jobs available once you finish your degree.

I appreciate that you're also considering potential future earnings, which are an unavoidable thing to consider when applying for jobs or looking into your future career. As you probably know already, salaries differ from job role, to company, so wages are an ever changing factor in your decision. But also, you do have the potential in the media industry to work up to a higher position and subsequent higher salary.

Also, you are allowed to change your mind. If, for example, you studied film/media at university, you don't necessarily have to get a specific job in that area of work. But it would also be amazing if you did continue a career in film/media. The skills you learn throughout your degree are transferable to other roles in other jobs too, like essay writing and research, project and time management, all the digital skills you could learn...

My main advice to you is to choose what you believe will make you happy - even if you don't know if it will make you happy in 5/10/20 years - but choose what makes you happy right now. Maybe even have a look at some college courses, open university degrees, degree apprenticeships, to see if there are any other options that might work better for you.

Best of luck with your decision!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending