The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Confusion between University of Kent and University of Liverpool

I'm confused between the University of Kent and the University of Liverpool for the course MSc in Marketing. Please do help me out with part-time job opportunities and and the living situations in both cities.
Original post by Starrie
I'm confused between the University of Kent and the University of Liverpool for the course MSc in Marketing. Please do help me out with part-time job opportunities and and the living situations in both cities.

Hi there :smile:

Whilst I have never studied marketing, I have been at the Uni of Kent for the last 3 years so i'm hoping that I can give you a bit of an insight as to what its like and the part-time job opportunities. In terms of campus, there are lots of places where you can get a job. You can apply to work in numerous eateries, bars, co-op, the gym, the on campus nightclub, cafe, theatre etc. I know many people who work on campus and there is something for everyone. Another option for a part time job is going through the work-study scheme. There are a range of jobs at the uni which are often remote or extremely flexible to work around your timetable. This is my personal preference as I like having the flexibility to work from my flat whenever I am able to. From my memory, some of the work-study scheme jobs include working as a receptionist, operating phone calls during busy periods in the year, becoming a student ambassador, helping out at open days, working as a digital marketing assistant, running social media account for the uni etc. You can also get a part-time job in town which is located around a 15/20 min walk from campus (10 min bus journey). There are lots of places you can work in town such as shops, cafes, bars, library, supermarket and so on. The university website has lots of useful information to help you apply for a job and you can also meet with an advisor if you feel that you need a bit of guidance. I will leave some links below that you might be interested in:

Part time jobs - https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/career-planning/work-experience/part-time-work-whilst-you-study-where-to-start
Jobshop - https://kentunion.co.uk/jobshop

In terms of the living situation in Kent, you can either apply to live on campus or find private accommodation off campus. Most students tend to live on campus in their first year. This means that you are close to lectures and all campus facilities. It is also a good experience and a great way to meet other people in a similar position to you. There are a range of colleges and types of accommodations that you can apply to live in. They are all relatively close to each other but you can also find out which building most of your lectures will be held in and choose the accommodation nearest to there if that is something that is important to you. Options of accommodation include shared houses, flats, en-suits, self catered, catered and part catered options (You can browse the accommodation options below). I enjoyed living on campus and you also get a free sport and gym membership if you live on campus, which really useful. My flatmates and I would often go and play a random sport in the evening and this was always fun and a great way to keep active.

Accommodation - https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation

Hope this helps a bit!
Let me know if you have any specific questions about Kent or uni in general

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
(edited 10 months ago)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply