The Student Room Group

can i do dentistry?

i’m in year 12 right now doing chemistry, biology and maths. i got 8877766 and a P2 in hsc in my gcses. the 6s are in re and geography. i am doing well with my subjects and not too concerned about grades but i haven’t got any extracurriculars and i’m worried i won’t be able to make my application impressive enough by next year. i’m trying to take opportunities by joining environmental projects and apply for work experience but idk. my only hobby really is doing art. not too sure about universities tbh. but can i do dentistry or do i give up. i’m like extremely motivated but idk how i’ll handle rejection. pls be honest ik my gcses aren’t great but i know i can get at least AAA in my mocks.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
100% , just as long as you smash your UCAT there are many unis that either don’t look at GSCES or bare minimum requirements which you have 5 over a 7 so you still have a decent amount of options , Dw and wish u the best
Reply 2
Hey! I am currently a year 13 student and I have applied to dentistry! After doing lots of research unis want a minimum of a grade 6 in english lang and maths which you have! Your GCSEs definitely won't be a hindrance.
your hobby art will be really helpful because as a dentist you need good 'manual dexterity skills' (working with your hands)
The only thing i would say maybe volunteer or get work experience as you need to demonstrate leadership, teamwork and empathy!
Finding work exp at a dental clinic can be very hard but I volunteered at a charity shop for a week and did some online courses.

Let me know if this helps :smile:

Original post by rihama12
i’m in year 12 right now doing chemistry, biology and maths. i got 8877766 and a P2 in hsc in my gcses. the 6s are in re and geography. i am doing well with my subjects and not too concerned about grades but i haven’t got any extracurriculars and i’m worried i won’t be able to make my application impressive enough my next year. i’m trying to take opportunities by joining environmental projects and apply for work experience but idk. my only hobby really is doing art. not too sure about universities tbh. but can i do dentistry or do i give up. i’m like extremely motivated but idk how i’ll handle rejection. pls be honest ik my gcses aren’t great but i know i can get at least AAA in my mocks.
Reply 3
Original post by rihama12
i’m in year 12 right now doing chemistry, biology and maths. i got 8877766 and a P2 in hsc in my gcses. the 6s are in re and geography. i am doing well with my subjects and not too concerned about grades but i haven’t got any extracurriculars and i’m worried i won’t be able to make my application impressive enough my next year. i’m trying to take opportunities by joining environmental projects and apply for work experience but idk. my only hobby really is doing art. not too sure about universities tbh. but can i do dentistry or do i give up. i’m like extremely motivated but idk how i’ll handle rejection. pls be honest ik my gcses aren’t great but i know i can get at least AAA in my mocks.

Hey, I got relatively the same grades as you for GCSEs. What unis are you planning on applying to?
Original post by jul07
Hey, I got relatively the same grades as you for GCSEs. What unis are you planning on applying to?

tbh just basing it off distance rn but bristol, cardiff, kings, queen mary, birmingham ig. but i doubt i can get into the more prestigious ones.. so no idea really
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by nayab246
Hey! I am currently a year 13 student and I have applied to dentistry! After doing lots of research unis want a minimum of a grade 6 in english lang and maths which you have! Your GCSEs definitely won't be a hindrance.
your hobby art will be really helpful because as a dentist you need good 'manual dexterity skills' (working with your hands)
The only thing i would say maybe volunteer or get work experience as you need to demonstrate leadership, teamwork and empathy!
Finding work exp at a dental clinic can be very hard but I volunteered at a charity shop for a week and did some online courses.

Let me know if this helps :smile:

tysm! ill def try volunteering
Reply 6
Original post by username6141184
tbh just basing it off distance rn but bristol, cardiff, kings, queen mary, birmingham ig. but i doubt i can get into the more prestigious ones.. so no idea really

Hey! I’m in year 12 with very similar GCSE’s as you and looking to apply to those exact first 4 unis! If you’re based in London IVE found lots of in person opportunities for volunteering and in person work experience, and if not I know plenty of online courses and programmes! Let me know if you want them ^^
Reply 7
Original post by moxxunaa
Hey! I’m in year 12 with very similar GCSE’s as you and looking to apply to those exact first 4 unis! If you’re based in London IVE found lots of in person opportunities for volunteering and in person work experience, and if not I know plenty of online courses and programmes! Let me know if you want them ^^

What in-person ones do you know of?

Could you please share the in person experiences in London.

Could you share the programmes And online courses please?

Quick Reply

Latest