The Student Room Group

Looking for jobs during gap year

I've been looking for a job since I've finished A-lvls, and of the jobs I've found, they mention staying for a year for training/experience/etc, however, I plan to go to Uni next September (taking gap year), meaning I wouldn't be staying for the full year (haven't gotten a job sooner since there's low availability in the area I'm in).
I'm wondering if I should still apply for them anyway, and just give a notice when I plan on leaving? Is that ok to do?
I would apply anyway and not tell them until you get the job, if you're going to uni you're going to uni nothing they can do about that.
Reply 2
Original post by himik
I've been looking for a job since I've finished A-lvls, and of the jobs I've found, they mention staying for a year for training/experience/etc, however, I plan to go to Uni next September (taking gap year), meaning I wouldn't be staying for the full year (haven't gotten a job sooner since there's low availability in the area I'm in).
I'm wondering if I should still apply for them anyway, and just give a notice when I plan on leaving? Is that ok to do?

It is ok to give notice though human resources departments (if the organisation is large) or managers who do the recruitment, might not like it. This is because recruiting new staff and training them costs a lot of time and money. However, as long as you are not hoping to go back each year during the summer break, or hoping that you will land a permanent job there when you do eventually leave university, then it is perfectly okay to be economical with the truth. Although you intend to go to university, perhaps there is a tiny chance that you would love the job so much, you will stay for longer? You never know! The main thing is to do the job well and get as much out of it as possible, with the proviso that, if you do need a reference from them, it might not be one hundred per cent positive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending