The Student Room Group

How exactly do univeristy exams work?

Specifically for humanities subjects, is it like a-levels where you sit down and do a written paper or is there a set task you type up?
Thanks
It really depends on the university. Ask your course leader, or look on their website if you're not there yet :smile:
Reply 2
Have a look at the Warwick history past papers.
Original post by belalalalalalala
Specifically for humanities subjects, is it like a-levels where you sit down and do a written paper or is there a set task you type up?
Thanks

Hello @belalalalalalala

As has been mentioned uni exams differ between universities and courses. That being said I can offer my experience which may help as an indication.

I studied History and Law and the History exams and essays were similar to assessments I did at school. Essays were question/statement based which you write an answer to - either in a written exam paper of a coursework essay. Later in my degree I did also have book reviews to write and I did some poster and blog style assignments and presentations (including group presentations).
For some modules/classes I had no exams and it was all coursework based but for others it was a mix of exam and assessments.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Ik some unis are scrapping exams for some humanities subjects and r just becoming purely assignment based
There are mostly two types of exams.

1) Traditional
2) 24hour exams

Traditional exams work similar to school:
-Strict guidelines
-Sit in large hall
-Paper and pen
-Papers are marked, moderated and grades come out several weeks later online
(university grading is a bit different, exam halls are often far larger then your average school)

24 hour exams are somewhere between an exam and coursework, they have grown in popularity since covid
- A question paper is realised online
- You complete it and submit it within 24 hours (normally submission is a PDF'd version of an appropriately formatted word document)
- Questions, and marking will be a slightly higher bar and they can expect referencing included
- These are typically designed to take students a few hours to complete and students are not expected to spend 10+ hours on it
Original post by belalalalalalala
Thanks

Hello,

I am an engineering student at Coventry University, but I am pretty sure that the exams for Humanities courses at the uni are done in a similar manner. This academic year was the first that we saw the return of face-to-face exams following the pandemic, these are of a similar format to A-level exams where you attempt a written paper. Some courses have, however, continued the practice of online exams which are open-book. Best to check for your particular course at your university.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending