The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Entry 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 16hdennis
Hi all!

I am not applying for the course this year, but will be when I finish my current degree in zoology!
I just wanted to ask how people are managing the student loans situation as I have just found out that it is still classed as undergraduate, meaning you wont be eligible for the tuition fees to be covered by SFE. What other routes for funding have you guys been told about while applying?
Thanks!

I am really going to struggle with finances too! We still get a maintenance loan so if this is the minimum then 4K ish per year which I was thinking of using towards my tuition
Reply 41
Original post by luciashiner1
I am really going to struggle with finances too! We still get a maintenance loan so if this is the minimum then 4K ish per year which I was thinking of using towards my tuition

I have no idea what I am going to do. I was told not to redo my A Levels because it would be expensive, but that would have been so much cheaper than the £37,000 i will be spending over the four years! The tuition fees are higher even than the maximum maintenance loan, so I have no idea where I’ll be finding the money to feed myself with!
Hi all!

I am not applying for the course this year, but will be when I finish my current degree in zoology!
I just wanted to ask how people are managing the student loans situation as I have just found out that it is still classed as undergraduate, meaning you wont be eligible for the tuition fees to be covered by SFE. What other routes for funding have you guys been told about while applying?
Thanks!

I'm a Canadian applicant, but I'm also planning on using a student line of credit from a bank to pay for school. Not sure if the banks in the UK offer the same?
Reply 43
Original post by lonelymountains7
I'm a Canadian applicant, but I'm also planning on using a student line of credit from a bank to pay for school. Not sure if the banks in the UK offer the same?

I can’t find any information about loans specifically for this, and Student Finance England said there’s no other funding options. Even if there was an option to take a loan out, it’s extremely unlikely i would be allowed £30,000 with no credit history and definitely wouldn’t be able to pay it back in time to avoid horrific interest rates.
Reply 44
Hi all!

Thanks!

Hey everyone ☺️ I hope I can help here by sharing my experience. So I graduated a few years ago and over the last year I have been working full time and saving what I can to help fund this degree. Veterinary is on an exemption list with student finance, so therefore they will pay a maintenance loan for the entirety of our studies. I’m planning on using this loan in addition to my savings to pay the tuition fees. I’m also going get a weekend/evening job to help me live. Fortunately, I have been able to move back in with my parents who live close to Bristol Uni, which massively reduces my living costs. I’m not sure how I would pay for this otherwise. I hope that helps in some way x
Reply 45
Hi everyone, hope you’re all ok!
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more from Bristol since being put on hold?
Reply 46
Original post by Cweaver24
Hi everyone, hope you’re all ok!
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more from Bristol since being put on hold?

I’ve not heard anything yet 😬 I’ve been on hold since November and just trying to patiently wait 😅 but it’s definitely been hard waiting when there’s so much to plan/sort out! Hopefully we will all get updates soon 🤞 !
Reply 47
I haven’t heard anything yet 🫣😫 been put on hold on the 15th Nov and it’s killing meeeee😫
Reply 48
I haven’t heard anything yet 🫣😫 been put on hold on the 15th Nov and it’s killing meeeee😫

I’m the exact same as both of you, the wait is killing me!
Reply 49
I’m the exact same as both of you, the wait is killing me!

It was a no for me from Bristol but I got offers from Liverpool and RVC
Original post by MelJess

It was a no for me from Bristol but I got offers from Liverpool and RVC

Excellent!! Did they come through just now? Well done 🥰
Reply 51
This wait is driving me insane haha has anyone had any other responses or updates?
Reply 52
This wait is driving me insane haha has anyone had any other responses or updates?

Me too 😩 I spoke to a girl who’s currently at Bristol on the graduate entry programme and she said she didn’t hear until April!!
It will be a long wait but she also said they put a load of people on hold
Reply 53
If anyone has a place on the accelerated course at Bristol and is certain to be taking it up I would start looking for accommodation now around Langford. House shares within walking/ easy driving distance in the villages around the campus get snapped up very quickly with most contracts starting on the 1st of July. Living in central Bristol might work out at the beginning but as almost all of the accelerated course is at Langford it makes for longer days and more expensive transport and accommodation . ( Yes the uni does run a free service but the buses are less frequent than public transport) During the clinical years you have to be close to Langford.
Does anyone know when the previous batch of accelerated Bristol vet med offers went out? So far I have only seen a few at the end of November?
Reply 55
Original post by ENERGYDRINK
Does anyone know when the previous batch of accelerated Bristol vet med offers went out? So far I have only seen a few at the end of November?
Same here
I need help! I have been offered to study at the Aberystwyth university, im still waiting to hear back from Bristol and Edinburgh for the 4 year programme. In case a miracle happens and i get offered a place to study at either of the unis, i really do not know which course/uni i should firm. So the struggle im facing is choosing between a 4 year vet med and 5 year. Since im a graduate i do not get tuition fee loan, so going ahed with the 4 year would be the smartest decision, save 1 years money and can start working earlier but will i be able to deal with the work load? When i applied to aber i really didnt think i would get interview or get an offer and my main focus was on the 4 year but now im mega confused. If anyone has any kind of advice then please help me out. I also know that im overthinking haha since i havent even heard from the grad entry... Thanks :smile:
Hi, I’m in the same position with Aber and was also rejected from grad RVC. I’m waiting to hear back from Bristol which was originally my first choice. I think at this stage as 4 year grad courses seem to be (even) more competitive just wait it out and see what you get? You don’t have to firm anything until you hear back from all of them and not until like June 30th or something. Personally I would be very happy with Aber (even if it means paying an extra year) I have heard they cram a lot into 4 years with accelerated 😩
Hi all,
I have just finished my application for UCAS for vet med graduate entry. I was wondering if anyone else is applying and how you are all getting along!
hi can I ask what qualifications you’re applying with? I really want to try graduate veterinary medicine
Original post by Dave2024
I need help! I have been offered to study at the Aberystwyth university, im still waiting to hear back from Bristol and Edinburgh for the 4 year programme. In case a miracle happens and i get offered a place to study at either of the unis, i really do not know which course/uni i should firm. So the struggle im facing is choosing between a 4 year vet med and 5 year. Since im a graduate i do not get tuition fee loan, so going ahed with the 4 year would be the smartest decision, save 1 years money and can start working earlier but will i be able to deal with the work load? When i applied to aber i really didnt think i would get interview or get an offer and my main focus was on the 4 year but now im mega confused. If anyone has any kind of advice then please help me out. I also know that im overthinking haha since i havent even heard from the grad entry... Thanks :smile:
Hi I received an offer for Edinburgh 4 year last week, waiting to hear from Bristol! Only down side about Edinburgh is that the cost would be £37,000 a year, I’m hoping Bristol give me an offer however I did fall In love with Edinburghs bet campus is was unreal! However, the practical based course at Bristol would be better, but Edinburghs is also very practical but also written exams based

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending