The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Entry 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosieAindow
Hi, I’m in the same position with Aber and was also rejected from grad RVC. I’m waiting to hear back from Bristol which was originally my first choice. I think at this stage as 4 year grad courses seem to be (even) more competitive just wait it out and see what you get? You don’t have to firm anything until you hear back from all of them and not until like June 30th or something. Personally I would be very happy with Aber (even if it means paying an extra year) I have heard they cram a lot into 4 years with accelerated 😩
Also Edinburgh want a reply by the 10th of may that’s when my offer expires as it’s an early starting course
Hi, new to TSR but been doing google searches quite a bit to see if anyone else is in a similar situation... just finishing a zoology degree & applied for the grad courses at Bristol & RVC and the normal 5 year courses at the same places, RVC rejected me for grad course just before my interview, but offered me a place on the 5 year course after. Bristol rejected my 5 year application suspiciously quickly (hadn't even submitted my SAQs - not sure if this was a mistake though as I assume they only looked at my A levels and not the fact that I'm applying as a graduate) and last week also rejected me for the grad course after I'd been on hold for months... not sure what to do because I'd love to pursue veterinary medicine but finding a way to fund a 5 year course seems pretty impossible, so was really hoping to be offered a place on either of the grad courses as that's 4 years of tuition fees rather than 5... does anyone know what the chances are of Bristol or RVC having places left on the 4 year course & possibly offering places to someone who meets all the criteria?
Reply 62
Original post by Kitkat332
Hi, new to TSR but been doing google searches quite a bit to see if anyone else is in a similar situation... just finishing a zoology degree & applied for the grad courses at Bristol & RVC and the normal 5 year courses at the same places, RVC rejected me for grad course just before my interview, but offered me a place on the 5 year course after. Bristol rejected my 5 year application suspiciously quickly (hadn't even submitted my SAQs - not sure if this was a mistake though as I assume they only looked at my A levels and not the fact that I'm applying as a graduate) and last week also rejected me for the grad course after I'd been on hold for months... not sure what to do because I'd love to pursue veterinary medicine but finding a way to fund a 5 year course seems pretty impossible, so was really hoping to be offered a place on either of the grad courses as that's 4 years of tuition fees rather than 5... does anyone know what the chances are of Bristol or RVC having places left on the 4 year course & possibly offering places to someone who meets all the criteria?

I don’t know about RVC but Bristol state that if you are a graduate they don’t always systematically waive the A level requirements for the 5 year course, so sometimes you have less chance of getting on the longer course than the 4 year. As for getting onto the graduate course through clearing at either RVC or Bristol I have NEVER seen it. I’m afraid you will have to go through the process again but as you have already seen it once you are better prepared for a second try. Answer the questions honestly. Let them know who you are and not who you think they want you to be and you will have a greater chance of success.
Original post by Euapp
I don’t know about RVC but Bristol state that if you are a graduate they don’t always systematically waive the A level requirements for the 5 year course, so sometimes you have less chance of getting on the longer course than the 4 year. As for getting onto the graduate course through clearing at either RVC or Bristol I have NEVER seen it. I’m afraid you will have to go through the process again but as you have already seen it once you are better prepared for a second try. Answer the questions honestly. Let them know who you are and not who you think they want you to be and you will have a greater chance of success.

Thank you for the reply. Was of course disappointing to be rejected from the Bristol graduate course, as like many others on here, I'd been on hold since November so it felt like a very long wait & being unsuccessful was of course sad. I realise vet courses don't go into clearing like other UCAS courses purely because they're so competitive, but if someone missed a threshold by a small margin and met all of the entry requirements, I take it if the uni had any spaces on a course these places would be offered to people who narrowly missed out on an offer? Not pinning my hopes on this by any means, as I understand there likely won't be any spaces left, but for a graduate who has already completed a relevant degree and put themselves into debt doing this, to start another undergraduate degree & put themselves in more debt than necessary (by doing a longer course), doesn't sound like the best plan, so I'm just weighing up my options at this point & trying to decide whether it's worth accepting my offer for the 5 year course at the RVC or trying again next year. I was really nervous when I did my interviews and was surprised afterwards when I was offered a place, so I don't think honesty or not being myself was the problem - it's just so competitive and even being offered a place at all is an achievement.
Thank you for the reply. Was of course disappointing to be rejected from the Bristol graduate course, as like many others on here, I'd been on hold since November so it felt like a very long wait & being unsuccessful was of course sad. I realise vet courses don't go into clearing like other UCAS courses purely because they're so competitive, but if someone missed a threshold by a small margin and met all of the entry requirements, I take it if the uni had any spaces on a course these places would be offered to people who narrowly missed out on an offer? Not pinning my hopes on this by any means, as I understand there likely won't be any spaces left, but for a graduate who has already completed a relevant degree and put themselves into debt doing this, to start another undergraduate degree & put themselves in more debt than necessary (by doing a longer course), doesn't sound like the best plan, so I'm just weighing up my options at this point & trying to decide whether it's worth accepting my offer for the 5 year course at the RVC or trying again next year. I was really nervous when I did my interviews and was surprised afterwards when I was offered a place, so I don't think honesty or not being myself was the problem - it's just so competitive and even being offered a place at all is an achievement.

Hey, congrats on your RVC offer!! I also got rejected from the Bristol Grad course last week, it’s so frustrating to be on hold that whole time to find out we were unsuccessful. I’m in a position where I can only apply for Bristol because it’s close to where my parents live, and it means I won’t have the expense of rent etc whilst studying. I do agree with you regarding the debt situation, It brings me anxiety. However, RVC is highly competitive and it is great you have an offer from them even if it is the 5 year course. Have you spent time doing the calculations to find out if it’s doable to do the extra year? It would be a shame to not accept such a great offer, but at the same time the extra expense isn’t ideal.
Also, veterinary has a high drop out rate and others may not achieve the grades they need if they have conditional offers. So it could be that spaces do become available, however Bristol only have about 50 places on their grad course total, so that space would be very limited if it occurs.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Cweaver24
Hey, congrats on your RVC offer!! I also got rejected from the Bristol Grad course last week, it’s so frustrating to be on hold that whole time to find out we were unsuccessful. I’m in a position where I can only apply for Bristol because it’s close to where my parents live, and it means I won’t have the expense of rent etc whilst studying. I do agree with you regarding the debt situation, It brings me anxiety. However, RVC is highly competitive and it is great you have an offer from them even if it is the 5 year course. Have you spent time doing the calculations to find out if it’s doable to do the extra year? It would be a shame to not accept such a great offer, but at the same time the extra expense isn’t ideal.
Also, veterinary has a high drop out rate and others may not achieve the grades they need if they have conditional offers. So it could be that spaces do become available, however Bristol only have about 50 places on their grad course total, so that space would be very limited if it occurs.

Hey, thank you! Yes, it was definitely frustrating not knowing for so long only to find out we weren't offered places - ig that's the competitive nature of vet courses. I'm the same - if Bristol had offered me a place I could have lived with my parents & commuted and saved money on rent etc, though I did really like the RVC when I went there but it was a bit of a pipe dream even if I'd been offered a place on the shorter course. I'll have to arrange all of the funding myself so sorting that out is going to be an ordeal, no matter where I try to go - of course I'd take the RVC place but at the moment it doesn't look like I'll be able to, disappointingly, just because of the costs. I didn't know Bristol only had 50 places on the grad course - no wonder it's super competitive and so many people were put on hold. If a miracle happened though and I was offered a place at either uni on the grad course then I'd do my utmost to find a way to afford it, as that would be the opportunity of a lifetime and I'd hate to pass it up
Reply 66
Hey, thank you! Yes, it was definitely frustrating not knowing for so long only to find out we weren't offered places - ig that's the competitive nature of vet courses. I'm the same - if Bristol had offered me a place I could have lived with my parents & commuted and saved money on rent etc, though I did really like the RVC when I went there but it was a bit of a pipe dream even if I'd been offered a place on the shorter course. I'll have to arrange all of the funding myself so sorting that out is going to be an ordeal, no matter where I try to go - of course I'd take the RVC place but at the moment it doesn't look like I'll be able to, disappointingly, just because of the costs. I didn't know Bristol only had 50 places on the grad course - no wonder it's super competitive and so many people were put on hold. If a miracle happened though and I was offered a place at either uni on the grad course then I'd do my utmost to find a way to afford it, as that would be the opportunity of a lifetime and I'd hate to pass it up

I 100% understand where you are coming from and if finance wasn’t an issue I would say take the RVC offer without hesitating. You have an offer now but who know’s for next year?
I didn’t mean to say that honesty was a problem but simply that Bristol don’t interview and as such they only get to know you through what you write about yourself so generic ideal student replies don’t actually hit the spot and get the brownie points. They like to see you warts and all and then see how you explain the advantages of your character traits and how they would make you a better vet student. I have a child already at Bristol, and tbh my hair stood on end when she told me what she had put for some of her SAQ answers, but she never got put on hold and heard back with an offer really early on in the process. It is certain that no one else would have written some of the things she put, but it did give an accurate picture of her as a person and her ability to cope with a full on course which at the end of the day is what they are trying to find out.
Wishing you the best of luck. Trying to do vet med as a second degree is not easy, especially if you are self financing.
Reply 67

Have you considered doing the degree in Slovakia or another school abroad?Although it’s not something I would normally advise to a year 13 student who could reapply, take a gap year etc it is something to consider for graduate applicants.You would still have to pay but it is quite often cheaper depending on the length of the course. ( some are 6 years). The courses are often in English and I believe ( but check) you can do your wex in the UK.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Euapp
I 100% understand where you are coming from and if finance wasn’t an issue I would say take the RVC offer without hesitating. You have an offer now but who know’s for next year?
I didn’t mean to say that honesty was a problem but simply that Bristol don’t interview and as such they only get to know you through what you write about yourself so generic ideal student replies don’t actually hit the spot and get the brownie points. They like to see you warts and all and then see how you explain the advantages of your character traits and how they would make you a better vet student. I have a child already at Bristol, and tbh my hair stood on end when she told me what she had put for some of her SAQ answers, but she never got put on hold and heard back with an offer really early on in the process. It is certain that no one else would have written some of the things she put, but it did give an accurate picture of her as a person and her ability to cope with a full on course which at the end of the day is what they are trying to find out.
Wishing you the best of luck. Trying to do vet med as a second degree is not easy, especially if you are self financing.

Yes I'd love to be in the position to take the offer & as you said, even if I applied again next year there's no guarantee that I'd be offered a place anywhere.
Perhaps my SAQ answers for Bristol let me down a bit from what you're saying then - that must have been such a relief to hear back quickly with an offer from them. I must admit, I did write and rewrite my SAQ answers a few times to try to give answers I'd hoped they'd like, so perhaps I should have sent off what I'd first written in hindsight. Thank you, yes I'm still trying to figure out the finance side of it!
I've looked into some courses abroad, but the overall costs for travel, accommodation and course fees for a slightly longer course still make it very expensive - more than some of the UK courses from the ones I've seen (though I may be looking in the wrong places) - and would be more than I could finance myself. Thank you for the suggestion though - I'm quite surprised by the number of english-speaking courses available abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending