The Student Room Group

Is it already over for me before year 12 started?

Got my gcse results and I got 2B’s.The rest were all A* I was planning on trying Oxbridge medicine (preferably oxford) but it seems that my gcses aren’t good enough compared to other people. I tried very hard to do the best I could but the unis wouldn’t know that. Is there anything more I can do so I can be up to par with my peers?

(P.s i’ve already started work experience and I’ve set my goals to be 4 A* at a levels)
Original post by Astral5875
Got my gcse results and I got 2B’s.The rest were all A* I was planning on trying Oxbridge medicine (preferably oxford) but it seems that my gcses aren’t good enough compared to other people. I tried very hard to do the best I could but the unis wouldn’t know that. Is there anything more I can do so I can be up to par with my peers?

(P.s i’ve already started work experience and I’ve set my goals to be 4 A* at a levels)

You won't be disqualified for having 2 Bs. If you went to an underperforming school, these grades will actually help your application.
Reply 2
Original post by emilyalexandria
You won't be disqualified for having 2 Bs. If you went to an underperforming school, these grades will actually help your application.

It’s a decent high school not as good as some of the other schools (some being posh ones) but it isn’t as bad as others (despite the constant jokes me and my friends had over the years). It’s just an average school basically.
It’s a decent high school not as good as some of the other schools (some being posh ones) but it isn’t as bad as others (despite the constant jokes me and my friends had over the years). It’s just an average school basically.

You'll be fine with 2B's unless they are in subjects that you need a specific grade in for the course you want.
Reply 4
Original post by flamingolover
You'll be fine with 2B's unless they are in subjects that you need a specific grade in for the course you want.

Oh no they were in spanish and eng lit (I was very stressed out and my mind went blank). Thank you for the knowledge 🙏
Oh no they were in spanish and eng lit (I was very stressed out and my mind went blank). Thank you for the knowledge 🙏

I'd double check oxbridge's website but as long as you hit their core subject requirements and potentially course specific GCSE's then you should be fine
Reply 6
Thank you for doing this. It feels so disheartening when people immediately shut you down when it comes to oxbridge but you were very helpful. Obviously I still have a slim chance but it gives me more motivation to aim higher 💪🏿
I find this so funny. 2 bs aren’t going to stop you lmaoo. Just focus on your a levels as they’re way more important
Absolutely go for it, you don't know unless you try. And make sure you look up some excellent alternatives (and there are many) that have lower entry requirements so that you can continue your dream to do medicine one way or another. Medicine, and especially Oxbridge, is very competitive and any offer is an excellent result.

Least you didn't get a U grade
Reply 10
Original post by totallyfine
Absolutely go for it, you don't know unless you try. And make sure you look up some excellent alternatives (and there are many) that have lower entry requirements so that you can continue your dream to do medicine one way or another. Medicine, and especially Oxbridge, is very competitive and any offer is an excellent result.

Thank you for the encouragement. I’ve got imperial and york down as some alt. options and I do want to follow my dreams so I’ll try to keep that in mind
Reply 11
Original post by Miss Baxter
Least you didn't get a U grade

Fair point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending