The Student Room Group

I dont think my boyfriend cares about me.

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over a year now, hes really lovely, amazing and just a great person in general. However, one thing never changed in our relationship and that was when it came to me being upset or emotional about anything really. A little under halfway into our relationship, I was upset, not sure why probably just hormones or something but even when texting he didn't really show any care towards me, a rare how are you here and there and you know. But, this one day I just started crying in front of him but turned away so he wouldn't see me and the whole time he completely disregarded the fact that I wasn't speaking or anything and we were there in silence together until we had to go on our date as we had it booked for a specific time and of course to not ruin the date, I moved past it as if nothing had happened. Then the next time, the same thing happened and near to when he had to return home, I caved in and hugged him as I just wanted some affection however he did not return the hug for a while but did eventually hug me back.
Time skip to recently, he has gotten a lot better with how he messages me and treats me in general. I talked to him about it many times as of course a relationship wouldn't survive without communication. He asks me about how I am a lot more and everything and hes great but I still feel like that part of him hasn't changed which is why I now refrain from telling him my emotions or displaying any negative emotions in front of him. I am trying to be optimistic and maybe wait it out until he realizes he should show me he cares about me more but of course at times it does hurt but that may be something I have to deal with until he does realize how it makes me feel. I just need to know if anyone has ever either been in a situation like me before or anything really, was just nice to kinda "rant" about.
p.s- He really is an amazing boyfriend and always makes sure to tell me that he finds me beautiful etc. Its only when it comes to me being upset where its not the best but I do not want to break up with him over something silly like that so please don't tell me to do that, I just want advice on what I could possibly do or say different I guess?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over a year now, hes really lovely, amazing and just a great person in general. However, one thing never changed in our relationship and that was when it came to me being upset or emotional about anything really. A little under halfway into our relationship, I was upset, not sure why probably just hormones or something but even when texting he didn't really show any care towards me, a rare how are you here and there and you know. But, this one day I just started crying in front of him but turned away so he wouldn't see me and the whole time he completely disregarded the fact that I wasn't speaking or anything and we were there in silence together until we had to go on our date as we had it booked for a specific time and of course to not ruin the date, I moved past it as if nothing had happened. Then the next time, the same thing happened and near to when he had to return home, I caved in and hugged him as I just wanted some affection however he did not return the hug for a while but did eventually hug me back.
Time skip to recently, he has gotten a lot better with how he messages me and treats me in general. I talked to him about it many times as of course a relationship wouldn't survive without communication. He asks me about how I am a lot more and everything and hes great but I still feel like that part of him hasn't changed which is why I now refrain from telling him my emotions or displaying any negative emotions in front of him. I am trying to be optimistic and maybe wait it out until he realizes he should show me he cares about me more but of course at times it does hurt but that may be something I have to deal with until he does realize how it makes me feel. I just need to know if anyone has ever either been in a situation like me before or anything really, was just nice to kinda "rant" about.
p.s- He really is an amazing boyfriend and always makes sure to tell me that he finds me beautiful etc. Its only when it comes to me being upset where its not the best but I do not want to break up with him over something silly like that so please don't tell me to do that, I just want advice on what I could possibly do or say different I guess?

Surely u just ask him if he cares about you?
Reply 2
Original post by BigJ123
Surely u just ask him if he cares about you?

I have, he says he does but his actions make it a little hard to believe. I overthink things quite a bit as well so it would just be nice to have a bit of reassurance.
Reply 3
I have, he says he does but his actions make it a little hard to believe. I overthink things quite a bit as well so it would just be nice to have a bit of reassurance.

Yeah so u should tell him all of this, if he doesn't respond with much care then your thoughts are probably true and vice versa.
Reply 4
Original post by BigJ123
Yeah so u should tell him all of this, if he doesn't respond with much care then your thoughts are probably true and vice versa.

I've been refraining on talking about it with him again though. It is a little complicated but I appreciate your advice(which i think it is?). I will mention it to him again later.
Reply 5
I've been refraining on talking about it with him again though. It is a little complicated but I appreciate your advice(which i think it is?). I will mention it to him again later.

Refraining from talking about it just makes it worse for you to be honest.
Reply 6
It may just be that he doesn’t feel the same emotions in these situations and so struggles to identify and react to how you’re feeling. Or if it’s a row situation, his anger curve and desire to make up is a bit slower. It is good to have empathy with your partners feels though. Perhaps try to talk about it at the right moment
Reply 7
Original post by Zarek
It may just be that he doesn’t feel the same emotions in these situations and so struggles to identify and react to how you’re feeling. Or if it’s a row situation, his anger curve and desire to make up is a bit slower. It is good to have empathy with your partners feels though. Perhaps try to talk about it at the right moment

I will try, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by BigJ123
Refraining from talking about it just makes it worse for you to be honest.

I know but oh well. I will talk to him about it again eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending