The Student Room Group

When do I apply for student finance if I am going to take a gap year?

Hi guys I am currently going into year 13 this september and was thinking of taking a gap year. So what I am going to do is apply for my courses and make my personal statement to get it out of the way and then defer that entry.

The thing is, when do I apply for student finance? Will it be this year or during my gap year? Also, can I keep the references my teachers wrote me or would they have to re write it all over again?
Reply 1
If you're applying for deferred entry, you'll just do the whole UCAS process during year 13, which includes your reference. You don't need another reference unless you decide to apply through UCAS again after year 13 instead of taking up a deferred offer (in which case many colleges will be willing to reuse their reference).

You apply for student finance for each year of your course in around March-May before the next academic year. Since your course would start in September 2025, you'd apply for first year finance in March-May 2025.
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
If you're applying for deferred entry, you'll just do the whole UCAS process during year 13, which includes your reference. You don't need another reference unless you decide to apply through UCAS again after year 13 instead of taking up a deferred offer (in which case many colleges will be willing to reuse their reference).

You apply for student finance for each year of your course in around March-May before the next academic year. Since your course would start in September 2025, you'd apply for first year finance in March-May 2025.

ahh okay, thank you so much!! So could I just call my sixth form and ask for a new reference if I decide to re apply again?
Original post by Clivierx
ahh okay, thank you so much!! So could I just call my sixth form and ask for a new reference if I decide to re apply again?

Yes (I think we went through this yesterday on another thread :smile:).
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Yes (I think we went through this yesterday on another thread :smile:).

oh yeah! Sorry I forgot haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending