The Student Room Group

Driving at 40

I got my degree at 39 and have now started lessons driving lessons again aged 40 (late bloomer) after a bad experience in my 20's. I've done lesson 2 cockpit drill, POM and some tight junctions left and right with parked cars . My instructor says I'm doing well but I can't shift this anxiety which I know if I can stop overthinking everything (MSMPSL) I'd be a lot calmer. How did everyone here handle it or is it a good thing to have out of interest?
Driving consists of 2 things

1) learning how to steer / physically control the car
2) experience / reading the road

Both of these take time as they are both “how long does it take you to get confident doing both things”

Rule of thumb used to be 1 hour of lessons for every year of life so you’ll likely need ~40 hours of lessons to get that confidence.

So, it’s fine to feel a little anxious / nervous but understand that, over time, you WILL get there
Reply 2
I think in this case your anxiety is a natural thing to experience, and anxiety can often occur at times just before you are about to experience huge personal growth. Push through the anxiety, and move beyond it's limitations until you succed :smile:
Original post by untitledrob
I got my degree at 39 and have now started lessons driving lessons again aged 40 (late bloomer) after a bad experience in my 20's. I've done lesson 2 cockpit drill, POM and some tight junctions left and right with parked cars . My instructor says I'm doing well but I can't shift this anxiety which I know if I can stop overthinking everything (MSMPSL) I'd be a lot calmer. How did everyone here handle it or is it a good thing to have out of interest?
Original post by untitledrob
Update. I passed. Just had to go with the flow and things do get easier. Ups and downs but perseverance is key :smile:. Hope that helps anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending