The Student Room Group

How to get over anxiety when texting the guy I like forst?

I am seeing this guy and I always get unbelievably anxious when it comes to texting him first. He is usually the one to text first but I know if I always leave it to him, he will eventually feel like I'm not interested so I'm really trying my best with it. I have social anxiety and texting anyone is an stress-inducing task for me so when it's someone I have a crush on it's even worse lol. I always feel like I'm annoying him or something when I send him a message out of nowhere - what if he suddenly didn't like me since our last conversation a couple days ago???? A lot of thoughts go through my head.

I sent him an Instagram reel almost two hours ago and he still hasn't responded so I'm sitting here trying to be rational and not overthink or regret reaching out lol. Anyone else experience this and have any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I am seeing this guy and I always get unbelievably anxious when it comes to texting him first. He is usually the one to text first but I know if I always leave it to him, he will eventually feel like I'm not interested so I'm really trying my best with it. I have social anxiety and texting anyone is an stress-inducing task for me so when it's someone I have a crush on it's even worse lol. I always feel like I'm annoying him or something when I send him a message out of nowhere - what if he suddenly didn't like me since our last conversation a couple days ago???? A lot of thoughts go through my head.

I sent him an Instagram reel almost two hours ago and he still hasn't responded so I'm sitting here trying to be rational and not overthink or regret reaching out lol. Anyone else experience this and have any advice?

You sent him an Instagram reel at 05:45 am and are concerned that he still hasn't responded by 07:40 am. The guy's in bed, asleep! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You sent him an Instagram reel at 05:45 am and are concerned that he still hasn't responded by 07:40 am. The guy's in bed, asleep! :smile:

My post was being approved so it was actually 7:30pm when I sent it lol - still no response now but I guess it's to be expected on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. I just get so anxious waiting for a response and the longer it takes, the more I regret sending a message in the first place since I have time to overthink it :colondollar:
My post was being approved so it was actually 7:30pm when I sent it lol - still no response now but I guess it's to be expected on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. I just get so anxious waiting for a response and the longer it takes, the more I regret sending a message in the first place since I have time to overthink it :colondollar:

Wait you're together and you get anxiety about texting him first?:confused:
Reply 4
Original post by Kovalensky
Wait you're together and you get anxiety about texting him first?:confused:

We aren't together or exclusive or anything - just talking with the knowledge we are both interested.
Reply 5
We aren't together or exclusive or anything - just talking with the knowledge we are both interested.

You said you're 'seeing him'; that's more than 'just talking', that implies dating.

If you want an instant response from him, pick up the phone and call.
Get help with your anxiety.
Reply 7
I know exactly what you mean.

I have quite bad social anxiety and texting can be quite difficult for me too.
Its something I have learned to be open about though, and I tend to communicate it quite early when I meet someone new (which doesn't happen often to be fair). Hopefully, they can help you, accommodate your anxiety, and encourage/nurture you.

I really relate to people not replying to text messages, I overthink too. I don't really have a solution, other than to say I know how it feels. I try my best to distract myself till I get a message back.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending