The Student Room Group

Is this A level combination a good one? (languages)

Hi everyone! I'm in year 11 and choosing my A levels.

I really would like to do:
English literature
Spanish
German
Politics

Where do you think that would lead me?

Any advice or comments would be really appreciated! TIA :smile:
Reply 1
Yes great, although doing 4 is pointless. Better off doing an EPQ. Maybe start with 4 and drop the one you end up liking least.
Original post by Guineadogpiggy
Hi everyone! I'm in year 11 and choosing my A levels.

I really would like to do:
English literature
Spanish
German
Politics

Where do you think that would lead me?

Any advice or comments would be really appreciated! TIA :smile:

It could lead you to many different things, is there anything you are particularly interested in?
Original post by flowersinmyhair
It could lead you to many different things, is there anything you are particularly interested in?

Lots of things so I'm happy to keep my options open!
Perhaps languages/linguistics/journalism/law/writing in some capacity
Languages are my passion but I do struggle to see where that would take me in terms of a career.

Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by lalexm
Yes great, although doing 4 is pointless. Better off doing an EPQ. Maybe start with 4 and drop the one you end up liking least.

I agree, but I simply couldn't choose any less :confused: if I struggle with one in sixth form I will definitely drop it though.
I also want to do an EPQ! lol
Lots of things so I'm happy to keep my options open!
Perhaps languages/linguistics/journalism/law/writing in some capacity
Languages are my passion but I do struggle to see where that would take me in terms of a career.

Thanks for replying :smile:

Languages could help with pretty much all of those options, and even if you don't have a languages based career they will most likely make it easier to get a job in a different industry.
Reply 6
I agree, but I simply couldn't choose any less :confused: if I struggle with one in sixth form I will definitely drop it though.
I also want to do an EPQ! lol

Most people that start with 4 drop down to 3, other than those doing further maths, so that’s a reasonable strategy. Just don’t leave it too late as you will be wasting precious study time. By your Dec/Jan mocks you should know what you like the most and what your are best at, so you should be able to drop one by then.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest