The Student Room Group

Pregnant and start year 3 of nursing degree september

Hi guys, I'm 12 weeks pregnant and start year 3 of my nursing degree september. The baby is due February which is when I'll be coming to the end of a 13 week placement I really don't want to defer and have support with childcare to complete year 3 without deferring. My question is will the university allow me to do this
Original post by terrirowe82
Hi guys, I'm 12 weeks pregnant and start year 3 of my nursing degree september. The baby is due February which is when I'll be coming to the end of a 13 week placement I really don't want to defer and have support with childcare to complete year 3 without deferring. My question is will the university allow me to do this

They should. I would notify the uni when possible.
I would also notify Student Finance, look through university bursaries and scholarships, and Universal Credit where relevant.

Congrats by the way, although I wouldn't say it's the most ideal time to have a kid.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
They should. I would notify the uni when possible.
I would also notify Student Finance, look through university bursaries and scholarships, and Universal Credit where relevant.

Congrats by the way, although I wouldn't say it's the most ideal time to have a kid.

Thankyou I am going to notify them after my first scan and your right it couldn't have happened at a worse time it was not planned as I was on the pill but life throws us a curve ball at times so I'm going to just try my hardest to get through it thankfully I have support for when babys born so I've just gotta give it my all thankyou for your help
Thankyou I am going to notify them after my first scan and your right it couldn't have happened at a worse time it was not planned as I was on the pill but life throws us a curve ball at times so I'm going to just try my hardest to get through it thankfully I have support for when babys born so I've just gotta give it my all thankyou for your help

Forgot to mention: also check with the NHS bursary, since you're doing an allied health profession related course.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Forgot to mention: also check with the NHS bursary, since you're doing an allied health profession related course.

Thankyou I will do
Reply 5

You will have to take some sort of maternity leave as it's usually 11 weeks prior to your birth due date that you'll have to stop your studies. This is standard policy okay but providing you are healthy enough and everything is going well the there is nothing stopping you continuing things but this will be up to your individual university and local health trusts policy. You'll have to discuss with your university course leader and also placement officer about any plans for this okay.

As a midwife I would certainly be you talking with your university course leader and also placement officer asap and start getting anything in place ready you, I'll tell you that if you happen to take any days off nearly your due date then your university or hospital ward manager will automatically tell you that you are now on maternity leave regardless of anything you already agreed with. I have seen it with my own students who had to follow the rules.

So if you are unfortunately made to take your 11 weeks statutory maternity leave plus the time after the birth then you would have missed a minimum of approximately 15 weeks ( all will depend on how you feel and how things went with the birth as you might have to have a emergency C-section or planned C-section but all of this must be agreed with your university course leader and placement officer......

I think you'll have to complete your remaining year at a later date or perhaps delay starting third year and complete it the following year........ But any final decisions will be down to your university course leader and placement officer etc and also occupational health will have to be told about this.
Reply 6

Where's the dad in all this, take it that it wasn't planned
Reply 7
Original post by Tracey_W
You will have to take some sort of maternity leave as it's usually 11 weeks prior to your birth due date that you'll have to stop your studies. This is standard policy okay but providing you are healthy enough and everything is going well the there is nothing stopping you continuing things but this will be up to your individual university and local health trusts policy. You'll have to discuss with your university course leader and also placement officer about any plans for this okay.

As a midwife I would certainly be you talking with your university course leader and also placement officer asap and start getting anything in place ready you, I'll tell you that if you happen to take any days off nearly your due date then your university or hospital ward manager will automatically tell you that you are now on maternity leave regardless of anything you already agreed with. I have seen it with my own students who had to follow the rules.

So if you are unfortunately made to take your 11 weeks statutory maternity leave plus the time after the birth then you would have missed a minimum of approximately 15 weeks ( all will depend on how you feel and how things went with the birth as you might have to have a emergency C-section or planned C-section but all of this must be agreed with your university course leader and placement officer......

I think you'll have to complete your remaining year at a later date or perhaps delay starting third year and complete it the following year........ But any final decisions will be down to your university course leader and placement officer etc and also occupational health will have to be told about this.

Thankyou I've emailed my course lead and awaiting a response
Reply 8
Original post by I am Tina
Where's the dad in all this, take it that it wasn't planned

No wasn't planned I'm on the pill I went to the doctors as I wasn't having proper periods just spotting he said it was my pill causing it so I just carried on but I started feeling worse so did another test and it was positive we already have twins together that are 6 and he works full time he doesn't want to keep it but I am not comfortable having an abortion so it's down to me really to take full responsibility
Reply 9
Thankyou I've emailed my course lead and awaiting a response

Hi
You are welcome 🤗
Thank you for letting me know you contacted your course leader and obviously awaiting a response from them.

Hopefully you'll be able to continue your course but it will be totally up to your course leader and occupational health to consider whether you can or not.
You'll be going on maternity leave about end of November if you are due to give birth in February next year.

This is guidelines set out by the RCN regarding maternity leave for both students and qualified nurses - have a look at it as may help you okay.

Royal College of Nursing
https://www.rcn.org.uk RCN-advice
Maternity toolkit | Advice guides

=================================================
( What happens if you get pregnant as a student nurse......

If you are in a nursing program and have completed 1 year of the program, but had to take a leave of absence due to a pregnancy, you will not be expected to start the program over, but instead, complete where you left off and begin the 2nd year as if you had not taken time off. ) - I think that this applies to all three years but check it out with your course leader ok.

Keep me updated on how you get on with this thanks 🙏 you can always PM me as well.
Reply 10
Thankyou I appreciate it I was trying to look on rcn and uni website but it just said about risk assessments which doesn't really clarify alot, I will keep you updated thankyou xxx
Reply 11
Thankyou I appreciate it I was trying to look on rcn and uni website but it just said about risk assessments which doesn't really clarify alot, I will keep you updated thankyou xxx

Risk assessments will have to be done before they can let you continue with your course as if they can't find alternative things for you then they will probably ask you to consider going on maternity leave....... But remember that you have options I mentioned previously in post #6 .

Thank you for keeping me posted okay.
Reply 12
Original post by Tracey_W
Risk assessments will have to be done before they can let you continue with your course as if they can't find alternative things for you then they will probably ask you to consider going on maternity leave....... But remember that you have options I mentioned previously in post #6 .

Thank you for keeping me posted okay.

I will do thankyou
Reply 13
I will do thankyou

No worries look forward from hearing from you when you know what is happening 💓💓💓

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending