The Student Room Group

Transferring and doubts about uni

Hi guys! I’ve been at uni for almost a semester and i’ve just had this strong feeling the uni and the course isn’t necessarily for me but i am
not entirely sure yet so i want to stick the year out and see how it goes but also reapply for first year entry on a different course in a different uni closer to home

i just wanted to ask since i am having these thoughts quite early if i was to apply on UCAS around December would it seem as though i haven’t given the uni a chance or should i just apply in early January?

any advice would be appreciated:smile:)
It wouldn’t make any difference as to how you’re considered by your new uni choices.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
It wouldn’t make any difference as to how you’re considered by your new uni choices.

really? is this because i would be applying for first year entry?

also could i just get a reference from my old sixth form as i do not get a personal tutor on my course at my current uni
Original post by Anonymous
really? is this because i would be applying for first year entry?

also could i just get a reference from my old sixth form as i do not get a personal tutor on my course at my current uni

Q1) No, they just wouldn’t be that concerned unless you were applying for the same subject. It’s rarely of interest why you had a misstart elsewhere.

Q2) Yes, but your new choices may ask for a ref from you current uni so you’d eventually need to have that conversation anyway. Tutors are well used to these requests.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Q1) No, they just wouldn’t be that concerned unless you were applying for the same subject. It’s rarely of interest why you had a misstart elsewhere.

Q2) Yes, but your new choices may ask for a ref from you current uni so you’d eventually need to have that conversation anyway. Tutors are well used to these requests.

oh okay thank you

as i don’t have a personal tutor who else could i ask incase the unis i apply to ask for a reference?
oh okay thank you

as i don’t have a personal tutor who else could i ask incase the unis i apply to ask for a reference?

Anyone that’s familiar with your academic work tbh. It doesn’t have to be someone related to the new subject area.

Most people either pick their tutor or a lecturer they’ve had the most dealings with.
Hi guys! I’ve been at uni for almost a semester and i’ve just had this strong feeling the uni and the course isn’t necessarily for me but i am
not entirely sure yet so i want to stick the year out and see how it goes but also reapply for first year entry on a different course in a different uni closer to home

i just wanted to ask since i am having these thoughts quite early if i was to apply on UCAS around December would it seem as though i haven’t given the uni a chance or should i just apply in early January?

any advice would be appreciated:smile:)

Hey,

If you are planning to stick the year out and decide you like the course, it could be worth considering transferring to a second year at a different university. This was something I did at undergrad and was so happy I made the decision rather than having to add an extra year. Maybe just something worth considering! If you have any particular unis in mind it may be worth contacting their admissions team to see if that would be possible (you then normally have to go through UCAS and they'll give you a conditional offer based on your first-year grade; I think I had to get a 2:1 for my transfer to be accepted).

Just wanted to add it's another thing to consider!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

If you are planning to stick the year out and decide you like the course, it could be worth considering transferring to a second year at a different university. This was something I did at undergrad and was so happy I made the decision rather than having to add an extra year. Maybe just something worth considering! If you have any particular unis in mind it may be worth contacting their admissions team to see if that would be possible (you then normally have to go through UCAS and they'll give you a conditional offer based on your first-year grade; I think I had to get a 2:1 for my transfer to be accepted).

Just wanted to add it's another thing to consider!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)

Thank you for the advice!! i’m considering changing my course as well since i couldn’t do so internally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending